Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Back up my data

Just spent a small fortune on a new go pro plus accessories etc. Only got 1 memory card of 128gb. I hear that this will not last long. We are going florida for 2 weeks so I know I will get through a lot of footage which I will want to edit when I get home.

I've been thinking of ways to get the data off the sd card daily so I can have all the storage back again.

I don't want to take my laptop with me. Here is what I have tried

I have a huawei p20 pro phone so bought an otg cable so I can connect it to my external 1TB hard drive. Then I had the intention of moving stuff from the phone to the HD. I can see the hard drive files and play them using File explorer. The only problem is when I copy a file from my phone to the HD it said operation failed.

Can anyone suggest any other way around this other than taking my laptop with me please?
GoPro

Re: Back up my data

Hi @pauledmondson

Regarding your current setup, does the error show up only when copying GoPro files or even with files taken from your phone's camera?

You may sign up for GoPro Plus which allows you to store up to 35 hours of videos and unlimited photos in the cloud.

For additional reference please check out these links:

What is GoPro Plus?

How to Add Media to GoPro Plus

You may also use a Quik Key (USB-C) Mobile microSD Card Reader

This will allow you to transfer files from your SD card to your Android phone.

Another option is to simply transfer files from your camera to your phone via the GoPro app.

Regards,

Ej

Hiker

The go pro actually only arrives tomorrow so I just tried to copy some images from my phone to my hard drive and then the error showed.
So the issue seems to be getting the files from the phone to the external. Go pro plus sounds the best. I've just signed up. Will it be possible to download the footage to my pc when I get home for editing? I don't want to lose anything. Thanks
GoPro

Hi @pauledmondson

There might be a compatibility issue regarding the connection between your phone and the OTG cable/hard drive that's why it's giving you that error.

Please note that auto upload to the cloud directly from the camera is available for HERO6, HERO5 and HERO cameras only.

Cloud library is limited to 35 hours of video with unlimited photos. Videos and photos are stored at up to 1440p and 12MP, regardless of their original resolution.

You should be able to access and download the files via the Quik for Desktop/Mobile, the Gopro app, and by signing in to gopro.com/plus

Thanks!

Ej

Explorer

You might have issues using Hotel Wi-Fi for auto cloud uploading as these usually require a separate web page acknowledgement to connect. If you are able to upload, yes, you can easily download the footage to your computer once you are home.

Quick Key is very fast, although the 5gHz on the Hero6 works pretty good for transferring to your phone. You shouldn't have any issues moving the files from your phone to computer, but the question I have is, how much room is on your phone to transfer the files?

I haven't tried it yet, but I believe the GoPro app is now supposed to be able to upload media to the cloud after it's been transferred over. If this is the case, then you should be fine.

As far as having enough space on your 128GB card, remember, if you fill this card it is going to be a lot of footage to review and edit. I believe in filming as much as possible, but try to keep the moments you capture short. I generally don't record for more than a minute at a time unless I really need to record longer. It just ends up being more footage that I never use and just end up deleting anyway. Personally, I think you would have been better off with a couple 64GB cards than one 128GB. This way you could of had one card for each week. Additionally, the larger cards (128 and 256) tend to be more prone to errors (I'm not saying you will have issues, but it's more likely).

What resolution/frame rate are you planning on shooting in? The conserve space and for faster transfer, 1080/60 will probably be best. 1080/120 for super slow motion shots and 2.7/30 for scenery, but primarily use 1080/60 for day shots and 1080/30 for low light. If you keep Protune off you will also conserve more space. With Protune off you still get great looking video and all the settings will be default. Some reviewers have also stated that they think low light looks better with Protune off.
Hiker

Thanks for your amazing response Daniel. I've just checked and it is actually a64gb card. What I'm planning on doing is actually taking my laptop with me so I can transfer on a daily basis and at least organise files as I go.

I was going to ask about best frame rates etc. There are so many to choose from. Mine field
Hiker

What would you recommend for all filming situations about the aspect ratio please?
GoPro

Hi @pauledmondson

The general rule or safest settings is 

1080 60FPS 16:9 Aspect Ratio. 

I suggest to watch video tutorials on youtube. 

Try to search how to us ND filter on GoPro.

It would definitely step up your filming quality. 

Regards,

-Jay