Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Back screen does not work anymore on Hero 9 black

[ New ]

After update to version 01.60.00 does the back touch screen of my Gopro 9 not work anymore. It stays black and does not react to touches.

I did an addional manual uptade of the firmware via the Micro SD Card, but this did not change anything.

Everythring works, when I use my iPhoen or iPad to contol it.

What can I do?

I bought it in February this year an do actually need it this week!

Tourist

Re: Back screen does not work anymore on Hero 9 black

[ New ]
I have the same issue here. Currently we are on vacation on a road trip in Baja California sur Mexico. We have super limited Wi-Fi or cell connection depending on where we are. My hero 9 started glitching out while recording yesterday. Yeah. I thought I would be able to dry it out and it would work the back screen is blank and non existent I can see things on the front screen however it is glitching out switching between modes. I attempted to try a manual update as suggested by the go pro app on my phone this failed mid process now my phone cannot find my camera and I cannot reait's not re add the camera because because the back screen is blank and I cannot see how to adjust any settings on on the camera itself. This is totally frustrating! We are midway through our vacation and have shot some great footage thus far but at this point the GoPro is useless until I get back to home app home and have access to possibly manually update or download items currently not possible. Please help me to restore argopro today!thank you! -- Ian
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @philippb7@ians00020 

Thank you for reaching out about your black screen issue with the camera after the update and for doing troubleshooting to try and resolved the issue.

Please use this link to contact a member of our team for further help: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs.

Thanks!

Sightseer

[ New ]
Thank you, I will try to reach your team tomorrow morning.
Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you very much. I spent an infuriating hour and a 1/2 on 2 different chats with GoPro team members. I was assured that if I could do a manual update by deleting reformatting and erasing my SD card then downloading the latest update I would be able to use my camera again and my screen would no longer be black and unresponsive. However the laptop I have on my journey vacation is a Linux Ubuntu laptop. Apparently the capture on your website that makes me register my GoPro with the serial number and email will not let me move forward apparently because I'm using Linux Chrome. I believe there should be a simple repository where I can sign in using my go pro account and download the download the updated manual update file. Many many hardware firmware and software sites use this model in fact you could post things on git hub. Who was super infuriating going through the process and apparently Firefox wont-work Chrome will work only in incognito mode and be and the capture function wouldn't let me advance to download the manual update is the manual update of the camera. I am on vacation in Mexico and have not had Internet or Wi-Fi access or cell service for over a week I finally was able to connect with our Wi-Fi hotspot and instead of snorkeling this morning spent an hour and a 1/2 with 1 of the key members trying to download the firmware which was a complete fail. It seems that now unfortunately my GoPro is a doorstop at least until I get home 3000 miles from here into the United States and Oregon. Where I have a Mac desktop seemingly seemingly no one can download software unless they're on windows or a Mac which is absolutely ludicrous in this day and age. There should simply be no reason why Linux would not be able to download a simple update file and put it on the SD card. Thus 1/3 of our vacation will not be recorded by GoPro and is simply infuriating and very frustrating. While I appreciate the efforts of the team it should be a simple direct download for the updated firmware for my camera. The phone app simply lost connection in the middle of the process and now I can no longer connect to my camera and my camera back screen is blank and black and has no touchscreen functions. Now I'm on the road with limited Wi-Fi or cell service and will no longer be able to use my go pro. In this day and age it seems silly that I would have to enter my serial number and re register my camera just to download the updated firmware I should be able to view this simply by logging in to the website and downloading from a repository hosted on a site or server.. I doubt I can completely express my laugh express my lack of confidence or frustration at this failed process in this message. I'm hoping you can reconsider your ability to serve your customers and offer a pleasant customer service and user experience. Ever since the episode this morning I've had a major headache after the infuriating experience.
Thank you in advance for updating and making it possible for is possible for people to actually manually update their cameras in a simple more user friendly experience.
Ian
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @ians00020

Sorry for any trouble caused.

We'd like to look into this further.

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the error?

After entering the information, did you get a green box for both the serial number and the email address?

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Case: 10061896
Unfortunately I cannot provide a screenshot I have limited ability to connect to cell phone or Wi-Fi or use my Wi-Fi hotspot I am on vacation in Mexico on the road and my Internet/cell husband's body. Please do not close the above mentioned case number I will not be able to respond within 5 days. Your support team is closed now and there is no way for me to contact support I replied to the email saying that you haven't heard from me and if I don't hear from you in 5 days you'll close my case. Do not close my case I will not be back home with reliable Internet in Oregon until about August 1st bout August 1st I will have spotty Internet and cell phone connection. Also I still only have my Linux laptop which apparently your software download will not support so please do not close the case until after I reply back once at home I am not gonna waste more of my valuable vacation time trying to fix the GoPro only with my Linux laptop for you to tell me that you don't support Linux. I have attempted to reply to the email to customer support and apparently it's a no reply address which is absolutely ludicrous in this day and age. I have no way of contacting customer support after tomorrow morning at least for another 4 to 5 days as I will be in an area without cell or Wi-Fi service. I also have no use of my GoPro for the last 3rd of my vacation which is quite frustrated. As far as what happened I was able to get to the capture function and identify stairs and then recapture and identify traffic lights. And then recapture and identify crosswalks but all of these times I could not move forward after entering my correct serial number and email. Improving I was a human I'm not a robot. Your system is woefully not customer friendly and dreadfully out of date with current times. My camera has a black or blank back screen which is supposed to function as a touchscreen and does not. I cannot download a manual update to update the camera manually because your system does not support Linux apparently. Please don't closeCase: 10061896
Until after I respond when I return home approximately August 1st.
Regards
IAN
Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the same issue. Brand new out of the box the main (touch) display was working just fine. After 5 mins on WiFi it prompted that I have update available, so I did the update. Since than, touchscreen does not work at all (does not power on or responds to touch). I did the manual update vie microSD as described on this link https://gopro.com/en/us/support/hero9-black-product-update but still nothing. The camera is brand new (still have the stickers on it), haven't got the chance to do even one video Smiley Sad

info version":"2.0

firmware version":"HD9.01.01.60.00

camera type":"HERO9 Black

@GoPro Please HELP!

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about what happened, @redexpert84221. Please contact our Support Team so we can assist you further in resolving this. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have already done that, I opened a case.

Waiting for a solution.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am home in Eugene OR.

I did the manual update that's to others who posted a direct link to download. The Hero 9 said it updated, the back screen is STILL BLACK, and non responsive. the camera wants me to open the app, but the app can not find the camera and the camera can not find the app, this all seen on the front screen. THE BACK screen is still BLACK and NOT a touch screeen. Your support "hub" is now closed as it is 5:52 pm on Saturday.

I will attempt to start a support call again tomorrow, I think at this point I need a replacement camera....

Thank you

--Ian

Sightseer

[ New ]
I was planning to purchase Gopro 9 but not sure now. Maybe should I go with gopro 8?