Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Auto Power Off?

Apologies for the length...

Bit of what I am after. I am a "camera guy" at a local race facility, drag racing and an open road course. Have 4 camera bodies, all of which shoot video very well. Track promoter has told me he wants more video. Plan is to shoot video using one of my camera bodies from various positions on the track. Have a friend working on making me a mount so I can put one of my DSLR bodies in several different race cars. I have Pocket Wizard remotes so controlling the camera will not be a problem.

I have had several bike racers ask if they will be included in my pool of racers that are helping me out. I have also had several guys with dragsters ask, in addition to a woman that races a Nostalgia Funny Car & dragster. Obviously a DSLR, with an external microphone and a remote radio will not work for these folks. My microphone has a rather flimsy mount, it will not be able to withstand the wind from a 190+mph pass.

Have read some less than favorable things when it comes to the GoPro cameras and their ability to be controlled remotely. At best, from what I have read, 600', under optimum conditions, is what I have been seeing when it comes to controlling a GoPro remotely. And apparently that remote only works with certain cameras. I have tested the remotes I have....I have placed a camera a half mile from where I was standing and was still able to control it, this is the type of distance I need.

That being said I have been reading the manuals for the Hero 8 and the MAX. If I read them correctly they can be set up to power off after 5 minutes. While it is far from ideal this will work for me, to a point. The cameras will be mounted in the race cars where the driver reaching them is going to be difficult, if not impossible so having the driver activating the camera and then stopping the recording is not feasible.So, how does the 5 minute power off function work? Will the camera power off at the 5 minute mark, even if it is still recording? Which in my case the car/bike will be back in its pit area, cooling down. I am only after the footage from the car doing the burnout and making the pass.

Would be ideal if I could control a GoPro with my Pocket Wizard radios but based on what I have seen in searching the Internet about this that does not look like it will ever happen.

Again, apologies for the length. But I don't want to buy equipment that will not do what I am after. I realize that I can simply edit the footage from the GoPro to only use what I am after. But given that I am a one man show at the track I will not have time. I also want to make sure that I have enough recording media and battery capacity for the camera to record in 5 minute intervals.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Auto Power Off?

Hello @dougc74082. Thank you for reaching out. The auto power off function in the HERO8 Black and the MAX only takes effect when the camera is idle, or not recording. When recording the camera will only power off if told to do so, that is, manually by pressing on the shutter button, or remotely through the GoPro App (on mobile device) or the Smart Remote. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Auto Power Off?

Hello @dougc74082. Thank you for reaching out. The auto power off function in the HERO8 Black and the MAX only takes effect when the camera is idle, or not recording. When recording the camera will only power off if told to do so, that is, manually by pressing on the shutter button, or remotely through the GoPro App (on mobile device) or the Smart Remote.