Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Audio suddenly fades away, then comes back, then fades away again?

Hi people!

Was hoping to get a good answer to this. I recently bought a Hero 8 Black, and I primarily use it for snowmobile and motorcycle riding.

Today when out riding I noticed the audio fading in and out, switching between left and right ear, coming back like it should be, then fading out again? Known issue with the Hero 8? Software bug? It was really snowy, and about -5 degrees Celsius outside. Did snow pack inside the mic? I doubt it.

If so, is it possible to get a cover for the Hero 8, like the earlier Heroes? This might be a weak spot for the new Hero 8, extreme conditions, since there is no case for it anymore?

I uploaded a 720p sample just to give you an idea what I'm talking about. This is really frustrating, sound is half the experience imo. :( 
https://youtu.be/i0fCDEDp9Cg

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Audio suddenly fades away, then comes back, then fades away again?

The video is private and can't be watched.  You either need to make it public or unlisted, but no one can help you with the issue if your video is not viewable.

Highlighted
Tourist

Oops! Sorry about that.

Try now 🙂
Highlighted
Nomad

Sounds like the sound is cutting out due to it being over driven at the source.  So loud motor noise causing the mics to cut out, when it quietens down, the mics kick back in and the noise is loud or from one side.  It's basically caused by overdrive/peak noise.  You may want to find a foam wrap for your camera to cut down the noise and even it out a bit.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the tip, but engine noise from my snowmobile isn't that loud actually. Even so, I have a good half hour where the audio is pitch perfect, then this happen all of a sudden. Weird. That's why I don't think it's because it's too loud.

Hmmmm
Highlighted
Tourist

Anyone else? Any ideas?

Highlighted
Backpacker

hi,

I would try to play with "Wind reduction":

Auto --- auto detect wind ---- could explain what was said here that excessive noise is auto cut

On  --- always cut excesive wind noise

Off --- no wind cut

just me,

robert

Highlighted
Adventurer

I can pop my gopro on my rc do 50 mph like that. no sound issue. My suggeestion is a tissue over the wind mic, that is the front facing mic.  If it works out great you know the next  thing to do is like me use a mic muff.