Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Audio level on Hero 8 Black

I have been using my new GoPro Hero 8 Black in Loop mode as a dashcam in the car and on a bicycle. In both cases I have experienced videos with sound that varies.

In some videos the sound is recorded normally at a good level where in others it is very very low, almost not recorded. I have used the camerea in loops of 5 and 20 mins and it happens on both settings.

The change doesnt occur with the 1min or 5min clips that are recorded but only when I have intervened to record an event. So a full 5/20 min clip may or may not have correct audio and then if I press stop/start to save the recording and start a new one it may or may not have correct audio. Point is I am not changing settings between the recordings.

Other settings are :

1080/60

Lowlight ON

Hypersmooth On

Explorer

Re: Audio level on Hero 8 Black

What is your audio set to, Auto/Stereo/Wind? If it's in Auto, that's most likely where the issue is coming from. Try with Stereo only.
Tourist

When in Looping, there are no such options available.

Protune is disabled.

Adventurer

that rules that out now the question is Post up a  photo of the set up as the dashcam, and hte set up as the bike and I'll say stop blocking the side mic.  Why that if any pressure is given NO SOUND will happen, try pressing it and you will see.

Tourist

IMG_8704.JPGIMG_8688.JPG

In each case there is nothing blocking any mic ports.

Adventurer

Thank you. nothing is at all obstructing, blocking the Mic on the side that is a good thing, it is very sensitive to pressure.    Like @danielr15  said, I start changing the Protune Audio, and even see if th e raw audi (WAV) has  perfect sound.  I wonder if the speed traveling is causing the diaphram of gopro to cause the mic to mute.  And if that is the case then contact GoPro.com/contactus page

Highlighted
Tourist

When in looping mode protune is not available. There are no changes to be made. There are no separate audio files.
Speed has nothing to do with it in a car or bike.
The unit “decides” at random to record normal or low audio during any given loop. The change occurs when I stop and start the loop to save an event.