Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Audio FAIL completely - Hero 6

[ New ]

I have a GoPro 6. I have no audio recording on my device. I have checked all the usual things: camera updates, proper memory card, etc. I have tried multiple different settings on the camera.

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer

Re: Audio FAIL completely - Hero 6

[ New ]

Some ideas:

A full format of a sdxc card. not a quick format, do a full format 64gb will take 30 plus minutes. then a quick format, then to the camera a format , and again camera format.

the camera itself  factory reset.   and as is just use it,  

The camera with  protune on and audio at high. see if there is sound on the wav file (asked before).

More or less if the camera  locked up, hadware. software, etc.  things do go.   

HDMI cable not available so that would  also  tell us if  the mics work due to feedback.   you do not have a hdmi cable correct?

that is all I got for  now.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Adventurer

[ New ]

visit the gopro product update, chose the right camera and manually update the firmware.  GoPro will want you  to do that it, may correct a glitch that    failed to work.

I then get in contact over a land line, if not chate  and go from there.  If htis is a Brand new cameraa return policy is your smartest move if support wants to  replace the camera.

Hiker

[ New ]

The audio was working since the update. It is only a recent thing. I am still running extensive different tests such as formatting the memory card, trying different cards, different batteries, etc.

Explorer

[ New ]
Have you re-run the manual update? Even if you are on the latest firmware and it was working, running the manual update can sometimes fix glitches. Once the camera has completed the update, format the SD card in the camera and then choose Preferences>Factory Reset.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Thank you.  I try a manual update again.  I even go back a firmware level  and  I  factory reset the camera for the hell of it.  If your camera worked before then something went haywire. and that sounds like from what you said what you did last.

What firmware are you on?

just asking as firmware  really  has not a thing to do with the issue but may clear it up

Hiker

[ New ]

Just did the manual firmware update. Still no audio.

Hiker

[ New ]

formatted memory card, reset to factory settings....  still no audio

Adventurer

[ New ]

we're trying to figure out the issue with you @danielr15 and I.

go into Voice command and  say a few commands see if the camera reacts  to it?

if the VC works the mics are working.

Explorer

[ New ]

@mikel03283
When you say no audio, are you listening to videos playing back on your computer, mobile device, or on the camera? Upload a video straight to YouTube and post it here. (If you are on a mobile device you can find the option to change the browser preference to this web page to FULL which will then give you the option to embed a video. Be sure to select REPLY and not QUICK REPLY).

If you are not hearing audio while playing back on the camera, swipe up from the playback window and the option to increase volume should appear.

Hiker

[ New ]

I never even thought of testing the mic by using the voice commands, that was genius.....

BUT STILL NOTHING!

The voice commands don't work so it confirms the microphone is not working. 

Thank you for the help

Hiker

[ New ]
I am listening to the audio directly on the camera. The beeps are working so I am confident the speakers on the camera are working correctly.

Not much point on posting video of just my lips moving with no audio. lol.
Explorer

[ New ]
The mics for beeps are not the same for playing back video audio. Posting to YouTube would help determine if the audio is being recorded or the camera speakers are not working. Did you check the playback volume on the camera?
Adventurer

[ New ]

@danielr15   excellent pointers,   if he recorded a clip, and no sound is heard, we  need to know exactly  who what where and why..  He also can  turn on the App and see from the smartphone as well if sound is there.  I do not want to say Are you using a External mic  set up because quick captureing is failure to  audio.  wil lwait and see.  thanks for the Kuddles.

FISH

Hiker

[ New ]
Yes, checked the speaker settings on camera... max.
Adventurer

[ New ]

@mikel03283 @danielr15   there are camera's Like the DOD fd 200 or 500 HD they use the speaker as the microphones.  

The Mics  yep would be the killer. To test next ,  speaker will be for beeps, playback, and  yep the screen for visual (lol).  So the next step would be a external Mic  which you do not have,  that is a 50.00  price tag not wrorh it to test the camera.

I then  find a downgraded firmware see if that can fix, and the actual  reflash of the updated.    you are left to call gopro.

How old is the camera, is it  brand new a day old or a year old?

FISH

Hiker

[ New ]

I will have to call GoPro. I have my original receipt and I am pretty sure it isn't a year old.

Adventurer

[ New ]

I am sending you a PM ... I try it out with the shot  its the same as you updated and see if it helps   I choose 1.51, or 1.60

Hiker

[ New ]

Ok. I downgraded to 1.60. 

1. The problem is FIXED. so it is not a hardware issue. 

2. What did I just give up by downgrading to 1.6?

Thank you so much for your assistance!!!!!

I will have to put up a small video about the adventure.

Mike

KimikRealAdventures

Explorer

[ New ]
At this point, I think your best option is to contact the GoPro Support Team.
Make three short recordings with the audio set to Auto, Stereo, and Wind
Upload a video to YouTube (you can set it to private link)
Contact the GoPro Support Team via Chat
Give them the link to your video and inform them that you have done the manual update, factory reset, and also the SD card that you are using.
Have your proof of purchase handy (a photo of the receipt is fine).
They should be able to issue you a RMA exchange for a new camera.

You can contact them here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Explorer

[ New ]
Downgrade fixed? Wow, that is weird, but good to know. I wonder if putting the latest firmware back on will retain the audio function.
Hiker

[ New ]
Going to take one more crack at updating to 2.01 from the link from Fish. Worse case is I just have to go back to 1.6 for now.
Highlighted
Explorer

[ New ]
HERO6 Black v02.01

PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

Enhanced low light performance
Fixed frame corruption bug in 1080p120 videos
Reduced purple/blue fringing in videos
Video Stabilization improvements:
Enhanced performance to look more natural
Upgraded auto exposure to reduce blur in medium and lowlight shots
High Dynamic Range (HDR) improvements:
Reduced color distortion
Automatically turns off HDR in lowlight conditions to prevent noise
Automatically turns off HDR to prevent blur if there’s too much movement in the shot

USABILITY IMPROVEMENTS

General bug fixes
Explorer

[ New ]
If they haven't fixed the instructions for Manually updating, be sure to move the entire UPDATE folder (not Update.zip and not the individual files alone) to a blank SD card. If the UPDATE folder isn't on the card, the manual update wont work.
Hiker

[ New ]

GRRRRR>>>>>> 

I updated it back to 2.01 to try it. It did one start recording and then it wouldn't do a stop recording. Repaired a file... then no audio control.

I updated back to 1.60. Same file I had already downloaded. Same steps. Same everything. Now NOTHING.

I hope GOPRO Support can see these forums so they can read all the notes.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Sory I stepped out.  so you had this fixedat FW 1.60. and re tried FW 2..01 and then back to fw 1.60 and its now not working?

OUCH  

Adventurer

[ New ]

Do your best t o get it working on FW 1.60, there are topics about what fw 1.60 v fw2.01 are about.  From memory  EIS was better on fw 1.60 in 2.7K arguement sakes.  about 10 plus pages of it.  I personally kept 1.60 and where I stand. No reason, nothing additional forme in the latest, as its no more updating with gopro so far.

I love to test it out for you but no thank you.  So if this is an issue for you which it is,  Iget to the phone  and not chat and get the RMA on the spot d onot wait forthem to check with   claims.  I am sure theywill make good and hopethat its resolved, your camera being fixed?

IF this is the route you're taking

FISH

Hiker

[ New ]

To keep the updates coming... I went to 1.51 and same result. So I took a shot at something. I turned on "Wake on Voice". It turned on. Problem is that it wouldn't stop recording by voice and of course no audio.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Some ideas:

A full format of a sdxc card. not a quick format, do a full format 64gb will take 30 plus minutes. then a quick format, then to the camera a format , and again camera format.

the camera itself  factory reset.   and as is just use it,  

The camera with  protune on and audio at high. see if there is sound on the wav file (asked before).

More or less if the camera  locked up, hadware. software, etc.  things do go.   

HDMI cable not available so that would  also  tell us if  the mics work due to feedback.   you do not have a hdmi cable correct?

that is all I got for  now.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hooked camera to TV. No audio from those recordings. No audio heard on any recordings on TV.

Full format of memory card. quick format done. format on camera done.

Factory reset done. Upgraded to 2.01. 

The camera will wake up with voice command but won't stop and there is no audio. Confirmed by doing it 4 times. This means the microphone is picking it up. Why would it wake up by voice but not stop nor obey voice when it is on.

It will not start recording by voice if the camera is on.

I turned ProTune on. Audio set to High made no difference.

I tried with different memory cards. Nothing.

Different batteries, nothing.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Never insulting:  What language are we doing this in?  English USA, have you tried changing the VC language  ?

Factory reset and turn off ALL controls and set to HD1080P and  press mode On and shutter and simplytest out. I mean no vc, no quick capture no wifi no settings,   and go to dropbox.com load up a file and post it here.  if you d not want to be  viewed get a black pece of paper or white and write TEST.

not to hard to do if asked (lol)   

and lets see what happens here.

Hiker

[ New ]

https://youtu.be/3M_KEQHOdSw

here is a test file... I have audio playing in the background. No Audio

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Thanks.  Have you  contacted a gopro rep at 855-635-3578?

Hiker

[ New ]

Waiting for them to open.

Hiker

[ New ]

So I have a solution to the problem. I called GoPro this morning and they were very helpful and cooperative. Apparently, this has happened more than a few times to other customers. 

They gave me a RMA to return it. They also provided me with the order number for the replacement so when I get mine to their warehouse they have an order waiting to send out a replacement.

Thank you to all the folks who tried their best to help me troubleshoot it.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Happy to hear  the good news. lets see what happenswhen its back in your hands and hte outcome.   I am positive all will be just fine.  remember to kuddle the people that helped ya

FISH

keep us posted