Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Artificial light flickering not fixed by changing setting

[ New ]

Hero 9 issue

brand new user to gopro and videography in general so apologies if i'm missing something obvious. I thought I had researched the basics enough to figure out the issue but i can't find the solution!

Light sources like TVs and static xmas lights are resulting in a lot of light filckering even when not captured directly in frame but just the light they give off in the room, but LED blubs seem to be completely fine. I've tried changing the flicker setting from 60Hz to 50Hz for UK. I've also tried various combinations of FPS and shutter speed such as 30 1/30, 50 1/25, 60 1/30, 30 1/60 etc. and having no luck. 

I'm finding that the closest result i can get to fixing this is to have a frame rate matching shutter speed like 30FPS, 1/30 but this still doesn't look great. 

I understand this is a challenge in general with videography but its frustrating when my mobile phone (Oneplus 6T) shooting in both 1080 and 4k seems to have no issue at all in the same environment. 

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: Artificial light flickering not fixed by changing setting

[ New ]

You're on the right path for sure.

LED lights (which is what your christmas lights are), TV's, fluorescent lights, and some cheaper LED light bulbs are not constantly "on".  Instead they flash very very rapidly, too fast to be noticed by the human eye.  However this results in flickering when recording video.  Changing the HZ setting (anti flicker) from 60hz to 50hz can sometimes help but not always.  It really is a combination of adjusting the HZ, frame rate AND shutter speed.  Also using an ND filter can also cancel out some of the flicker as this adds a natural motion blur (with the right settings) making the flickering less noticable. The best practise in general is to match your frame rate with the frequency of the lights you are in. You need to shoot at frame rates that are divisible by the number of light pulses. So, in a 60 Hz AC area, you’ll need to shoot at 30, 60 or 120 fps

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

[ New ]

You're on the right path for sure.

LED lights (which is what your christmas lights are), TV's, fluorescent lights, and some cheaper LED light bulbs are not constantly "on".  Instead they flash very very rapidly, too fast to be noticed by the human eye.  However this results in flickering when recording video.  Changing the HZ setting (anti flicker) from 60hz to 50hz can sometimes help but not always.  It really is a combination of adjusting the HZ, frame rate AND shutter speed.  Also using an ND filter can also cancel out some of the flicker as this adds a natural motion blur (with the right settings) making the flickering less noticable. The best practise in general is to match your frame rate with the frequency of the lights you are in. You need to shoot at frame rates that are divisible by the number of light pulses. So, in a 60 Hz AC area, you’ll need to shoot at 30, 60 or 120 fps

Hiker

[ New ]

Of all cameras , 11 in total the gopro is the only one that flickers like its entering another dimension, they just do it and not much can fix it

Backpacker

[ New ]

"they just do it and not much can fix it"

This is completely untrue.  You can fix it, you just need to manually adjust the settings for the best results.  Other camera's such as DSLR's, video camera's and such also suffer from this but usually to a lesser extent due to having a greater number of options available for compensating for such flicker.  

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for the feedback. I'll continue to mess with the combination of frame rate and shutter speed to see how it gets on.