Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Artifacts in TimeWarp mode

[ New ]

I have captured a variety of TimeWarp with GoPro 8 and GoPro 9 and when rendered in Premiere Pro or Davinchi Resolve they looked fine. In several videos the original captured file seems fine. But post render in Premiere Pro or other editors the file is 100% garbage and can't be used.  Is there something that can be done pre-capture to cause it not to occur? Anthing during editing process or during render to make it not occur? I notice it the most when the video has lots of same color such as lots of blue sky or lots of white from clouds and snow.  

Backpacker

Re: Artifacts in TimeWarp mode

[ New ]

It looks like that during your post processing your bit rate is simply not high enough.  Artifacts like this will be more noticable during timelapse as usually tones and colors are changing much more rapidly than in real speed.  So you need to have an even higher bit rate during export.  I suggest starting off with a bit rate of at least 15 -20 to see how that helps.  The higher the resolution of your output the higher your bitrate will need to be.

Hiker

Re: Artifacts in TimeWarp mode

[ New ]

Thanks. I skipped from normal bitrate of 40 VBR which normally has worked for most videos I created and uploaded into 4K to 100mbps CBR. I also set in Premiere Pro to Render and Maximum Depth and Render at Maximum Quality. It resulted in a better and usable outcome. However after upload there is still some artifacts due to YouTube re-rendering. Maybe in future I will experiment to see if VBR can be used or whether I do not need to go as high as 100 mbps.

Difference can be seen in following video at 1:25 when it switches to TimeWarp from inside the car.