Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Anyway to force GoPro9 to use h.264 at 24fp (1080) instead of HEVC?

[ New ]

It seems like that GoPro9 at 1080 uses HEVC at 24fps, 25fps and 30 fps while at 60 or 50fps it uses h.264 oddly enough. Is there anyway to force the use of h.264 at 1080/24?

Sightseer

Re: Anyway to force GoPro9 to use h.264 at 24fp (1080) instead of HEVC?

[ New ]
I see the same issue with my wife's hero9. We have been searching all around regarding the issue, and this is the first time we saw someone post about it. At least now we know this is not an isolated case. 1080p30 and 1080p24 both forces HEVC. This is not the case with my Hero8, however. Will there be a software update fix for this?
Nomad

[ New ]

@gomarionrun wrote:
Will there be a software update fix for this?

I'd be surprised this is changed in future firmware because it's clearly a design choice. The other odd choice is to bundle the antiflickering with frame rate choice so if you chose the 50Hz antiflickering for European electricity you cannot shoot in 30fps or 60fps. Something that makes no sense, I understand the origin of the choice (PAL vs NTSC) but nowadays with internet and digital tv's it makes no sense.

The implementation of HEVC codec by GoPro is not very good because I've seen people sporting powerful laptops complaining about those files being choppy even just at playback.

People that make use of 1080 whatever the framerates are usually doing it because they cannot manage the 4k and 5k, not enough computing power so deliberately choosing to use a codec that needs intensive computing power for one of the most popular and cinematic frame rate is a pretty poor choice by GoPro that keeps alienating it's customers. It's a deliberate choice by design because I can shoot 1080/24 with h.264 on my GoPro 7 and as you said on the GoPro 8.

For me 1080/24 with HEVC is a deal breaker as when travelling I have no time to convert hundreds of GB of data from HEVC to h.264 before even begin playing back or edit. I’m returning the camera today, I was probably returning it anyway because it keeps freezing while recording and when it happens the file you were recording is corrupted and you lose it.

Hopefully the Osmo Action will come out soon and it will improve on GoPro offering at a better price point.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

I just ran into this problem on my Hero9. My older version of Premiere CS6 on my travel laptop does not like H.265/HVEC so it was a surprise to find out that even though I manually set H.264+HVEC as the option, it shot the footage in H.265. Now I have to use Handbrake to re-encode them to H.264. 

I was hoping the new firmware would have fixed this but I guess not. --bleep-- disapointing and frustrating.

Nomad

[ New ]

I described the behavior here some time ago (once again a threat that has landed in oblivion ...) and was almost insulted because HEVC would be the future and I with my demand from yesterday etc.
I had the suggestion that when I set H264, I expect that a video will be saved coded in H264 at the end and not that the camera decides what is "better" depending on the resolution and FPS!
Likewise, the wish that FPS and anti-flicker should be adjustable separately ... This wish was also torn in the air ...
Since too often ideas or wishes are either nipped in the bud or simply never pursued any further - why get upset about it? I give up ....

Nomad

[ New ]

@oliverz513 wrote:

Since too often ideas or wishes are either nipped in the bud or simply never pursued any further - why get upset about it? I give up ....

I think many people are giving up on GoPro as well, they are going to have a hard time to stay on the market in the next few years.

Nomad

[ New ]

@trinimon wrote:

I just ran into this problem on my Hero9

It's not a problem, it's been designed like that.

Tourist

[ New ]

That's a pretty crappy design if ya asked me. If they didn't want users to have a choice for those framerates, they should have the user interface autoswich or lock the option to H.265 when you pick those framerates. Why bother having the option of H.264 when they they just make you shoot in H.265 anyway.

Nomad

[ New ]

@trinimon wrote:

That's a pretty crappy design if ya asked me. If they didn't want users to have a choice for those framerates, they should have the user interface autoswich or lock the option to H.265 when you pick those framerates. Why bother having the option of H.264 when they they just make you shoot in H.265 anyway.

They only make you choose between "HEVC only" and "h.264 + HEVC", in the latter they actually choose for you. But what I find odd it's the design choice for 1080 useing HEVC at 24fps, 25fps and 30 fps while at 60 or 50fps it uses h.264. Would it not make more sense to use HEVC on higher frame rates in order to have smaller file sizes?