Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Anyone used the PolarPro ND Filters on the Hero9? I cannot remove the filter

[ New ]

I replaced the lens cover by a PolarPro filter (from the new set for the Hero9), which is the way the filetrs are used (good). The lens cover came off easily and the filter went on easily. But now I cannot get the filter off. Anyone have expereince with these filters? Not being able to remove the filter is a major problem.

Tourist

Re: Anyone used the PolarPro ND Filters on the Hero9? I cannot remove the filter

[ New ]

DId you try pulling straight up on the lens first and then twisting counter-clockwise?

Hiker

Re: Anyone used the PolarPro ND Filters on the Hero9? I cannot remove the filter

[ New ]
you gotta position it and twist, sometimes it takes 2 twists.
Nomad

[ New ]

Yes, I kow the technique - pull out and twist (just like I did to successfully remove the lens cover. The filter will not budge.

Are those who are responding users of these filters and have successfully put them on and off?

Nomad

Follow-Up

[ New ]

I and two others who tried could not get the filter off the camera with their fingers. I then used a wrench to pull and twist off (with a lot of force), luckily with no damage to the camera. This is unacceptable.

I know it is not my failings or the camera's because the lens cover easily goes on and off using teh same technique. Thus, it is a design flaw in the filters or I got a bad copy (unlikely).

Hiker

Re: Follow-Up

[ New ]

stock lens is easy to twist off, the polar pro have a groove so you can pull the lens away from the camera body then twist.

Nomad

[ New ]

I know what it has; the groove does not help (did you really think I did not see or use the groove? do you have the filter or not? If you do, then tell us you had no trouble with getting it off. If you do not have it, then please...).

Hiker

[ New ]

of course i have them. and no issue pulling them off, just need to pull the filter away from the body, and it twists off. so please...... be more polite when in the end it you who is having difficulty with a product. 

Nomad

[ New ]

Well good, so you had no trouble at all.Then that is useful to know, rather than gratuitous repetive statenments on how to pull the filter off when I have stated many times here how to do it and how I succeeded (but only with a wrench) in doing it. Did you read what I wrote? Do you get that the lens cover comes off the same way so if one succeeds in getting that off, one also knows how to take off the filter.

If you had no trouble, that suggests there is something specifically wrong with my filter and not a design defect. Thak you for that information, finally.

Tourist

[ New ]

Just got my filters today. I also had a very difficult time removing the ND. The previous recommendation to pull up and twist worked for me. I still had to use two hands, but it worked. The filter ridges (on the non-labeled sides) were a huge help. I imagine the inside locking grooves will wear down after repetitive use and will make removal easier (I hope).

Tourist

[ New ]

Any updates on this? I'm having the same issue. I can not get the nd filter off. I pull up and twist counter clockwise, and it just won't budge. I'm giving it much force, and my fingers are sore. Should it be this difficult to remove?

Nomad

[ New ]
I finally had to use pliars to twist and turn. I had scabs on my fingers from trying to remove by hand. I have not used it since.
Tourist

[ New ]

Yikes! Yeah, I read that's what you did. I was hoping for a better solution from gopro or polarpro. My fingers are very sore now from trying to get the filter off. Terrible. I have a ticket open with polarpro, but so far no help.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the Polar Pro ND filters. I can say they are a pain in the ass to remove but they can be removed. I found after multiple times use, they wore in and aren't as difficult to remove. Still a PIA but a bit easier to remove.

But like the OP and others have said, grasp the ND filters and pull away from the Hero 9 and at the same time, rotate the ND filter counterclockwise. I even found putting a thick rubber band around the ND filter easier. I found the grooves of the filter can at times cut your skin.

Hope that helps. Perhaps try using a rubber band? It worked for me.