Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Anyone know how I can stabilise my GoPro hero sessions videos?

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Anyone know how I can stabilise my GoPro hero sessions videos?

Are you talking about videos that have already been shot?  If so, you need to do this in an editor.  You can find free editors that work decent or pay and find some that do a very good job of it.  Alternatively, if you upload to youtube and chose edit video, you can enable the anti shake/stabilize feature.  The larger your FOV 1440 vs 1880 the more the editor will have to work with.

Here is a list complied of video editors for GoPro.  It's old and many of the software versions have been updated, but it's still relevant.  Also, if you have Windows Movie Maker (discontinued so you can't get it now if you don't) it contains a pretty good anit-shake and video stabilization tool.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VideoEditing/comments/19v6u5/basic_guide_to_pc_video_editing_software/

i just purchased Corel Video Studio Pro X9 for $29 on amazon and it works pretty well and has a lot of features.

If you want to know how to stabilize your video for future shots it helps to know what activity you are using it for.  The simplest way is to mount it on a hand held stick (the handler, bobber, three way) and press the camera against your chin or lips.  You can also get stabilizers that work with counter weights.  This is a cheaper option than electronic gimbal stabilization but it's trickier to get the balance weights just right.  They do work however, so if you don't want to spend a lot of money, it's worth researching.  The absolute best stabilization is going to come with an electronic stabilizer, however the cost will be significantly more and not all stabilizers are equal in quality, durability, and features.  Unfortunately, I don't think GoPro is going to release a harness for the Session (Hero4) so the Grip wont be an option for you.  They will have one for the Hero5 this summer.  The Hero5 Session is a huge upgrade from the Session (Hero4) and if you use your camera a lot and are thinking about investing in a hand held gimbal, I strongly suggest you think about getting the Hero5 Session (maybe sell the Hero4 Session to help pay for it?). The other benefit of upgrading is you get the electronic stabilization in the Hero5 Session.  It wont fix big shakes and movement, but it does steady the video much better than without it.

Regards,

Daniel

View solution in original post

All Replies
Adventurer

Tiffen Curve

your own tripod

feitu gimbal

Explorer

Are you talking about videos that have already been shot?  If so, you need to do this in an editor.  You can find free editors that work decent or pay and find some that do a very good job of it.  Alternatively, if you upload to youtube and chose edit video, you can enable the anti shake/stabilize feature.  The larger your FOV 1440 vs 1880 the more the editor will have to work with.

Here is a list complied of video editors for GoPro.  It's old and many of the software versions have been updated, but it's still relevant.  Also, if you have Windows Movie Maker (discontinued so you can't get it now if you don't) it contains a pretty good anit-shake and video stabilization tool.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VideoEditing/comments/19v6u5/basic_guide_to_pc_video_editing_software/

i just purchased Corel Video Studio Pro X9 for $29 on amazon and it works pretty well and has a lot of features.

If you want to know how to stabilize your video for future shots it helps to know what activity you are using it for.  The simplest way is to mount it on a hand held stick (the handler, bobber, three way) and press the camera against your chin or lips.  You can also get stabilizers that work with counter weights.  This is a cheaper option than electronic gimbal stabilization but it's trickier to get the balance weights just right.  They do work however, so if you don't want to spend a lot of money, it's worth researching.  The absolute best stabilization is going to come with an electronic stabilizer, however the cost will be significantly more and not all stabilizers are equal in quality, durability, and features.  Unfortunately, I don't think GoPro is going to release a harness for the Session (Hero4) so the Grip wont be an option for you.  They will have one for the Hero5 this summer.  The Hero5 Session is a huge upgrade from the Session (Hero4) and if you use your camera a lot and are thinking about investing in a hand held gimbal, I strongly suggest you think about getting the Hero5 Session (maybe sell the Hero4 Session to help pay for it?). The other benefit of upgrading is you get the electronic stabilization in the Hero5 Session.  It wont fix big shakes and movement, but it does steady the video much better than without it.

Regards,

Daniel