Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Another classic “grainy footage” problem - but this is different

Simply put, when I download my GoPro videos from the camera to the app on my phone, the footage looks fantastic, but when transferring to PC with the Quik app and drag - drop (tested both) along with rendering in adobe premiere at the same resolution and all, the final render looks like crap. Even without messing with the footage, just rendering it for better playback. Essentially it loses sharpness and has a very fine but annoying pixelated look to it. My PC isn’t the best, but I can manage 4K footage typically as long as I render it first (in premiere) but technically my PC doesn’t support HEVC because I can’t play the videos in windows media player, but again, can work with 4K in Premiere without converting. So I have to beg the question, do you think this is my PC not being a 4K powerhouse causing the issue? Any thoughts/experiences would be great.

I should add that since I got the HERO 8, I haven’t run into the issue this noticeably up until this last piece of footage, leading me to here, but I haven’t been super satisfied with the footage overall, thinking the quality did look a little sub par, but I was just attributing it to bad protune settings on my part, but at this point it got so bad that now I’m just thinking it’s the PC. I’m also aware of lighting conditions vs protune settings, etc - this is not the case I promise. Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Another classic “grainy footage” problem - but this is different

When you look at the video properties for the files the HVEC file has a bitrate of 7Mbps and the AVC version 11Mbps.  Although it looks as if the AVC  should have more details the HEVC compression is about twice as efficient so would have a bitrate comparable to SVC at 14Mbps.

The banding in the sky is a common artefact of video.  The GoPro Hero 8, like many consumer cameras, uses a colour space of 8 bit 420.  Professional video would be recorded 10bit 422.

8 bit means that there is a colour gamult from 0 to 254 - so only 255 shades of a colour where as 10bit has 1024 shades.  When you look at the sky (or large areas with the similar colour) it has a little variance in colour across it which.  Because 255 means that one value is a bit of a step from the next you get the natural varience getting rounded off and creating bands of a single colour when it would naturally graduate (it would also graduate in 10bit)

TYhe banding can look worse depending on the bitrate as the compression may merve the colours more.

Try increasing the bitrate a bit if you can to see if that helps with the blockyness.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Tourist

Update: exporting as HEVC makes the problem completely go away, I was exporting at H.264 prior. But that still shouldn't happen even at H.264 I feel like. Gonna try converting to H.264 using handbrake before I use premiere at all and report back!

Also gonna try rendering in premiere first, then exporting as HEVC to see if the grain comes again, because I didn't render this time before exporting HEVC and I'm curious if this is during the rendering process in Premiere.

I'll give all the details if I figure this out on my own.

Highlighted
Adventurer

googledrive a file so others can say.  or tell us the  scene and how the shot was. a lot has to come to play about quaility.

Highlighted
Hiker

You will need to post some original & rendered footage along with the settings for the camera, the import into the editor (e.g. does it transcode it) and the settings for the output render.

Highlighted
Nomad

Since you've said the footage looked like crap, grainy and pixelated, it makes me wonder if you're accidently trying to edit the LRV files instead the MP4 files.

Highlighted
Tourist

Shot in 4k 60fps, high bit rate, overcast outdoor conditions, iso locked to 100, no EV comp, shutter 1/120, WB Native, Sharpness Low, Flat Color Profile, Hypersmooth On. Uploading a clip exported as HEVC (where the problem seems to go away) and also an export as H.264 (where the problem happens). Footage was over-exposed a bit, I'm aware of that, but I highly doubt that's the issue here.

It's definitely not during the rendering process, as I rendered a clip first then exported as HEVC and it was fine. It really just happens when I export anything other than HEVC codec.

Haven't had the chance to test out converting with handbrake first.

Standby for uploads I'm exporting now.

Highlighted
Tourist

Definitely using the .mp4 - I don't even have the other file you're talking about. Educate me, what is that?

Highlighted
Adventurer

if you use th smartphone a LRV file is created and when  transferred by the sdxc card wit ha reader a  regular file and a Lrv file along with a THM file  is shown.   One is used for editing, the other for the smartphone editing.