Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Another classic “grainy footage” problem - but this is different

[ Edited ]

Yeah I've done some golden hour flights so I can attest to that! Also aware of the drop as well (it was a light snow flurry). I realize I wasn't set up for the best conditions overall, just wanted to make sure I maxed out my options before I settle. Another cloudy day I shot was the only other time I noticed the same thing (as bad as this one) so it makes sense. I have a clip I did of a snowy day that was cloudy and it seemed much better quality though (pretty sure I had an ND8 on that day). Guess it's those greens! Would love to see what you did if you wanna drop it in that folder. I'm not the best color guy yet either so I'm curious to see what you did with it!

If you don't want to, no worries either lol just curious. Thanks man! Appreciate your time.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Highlighted
Tourist

Good work man I love it! I see what you mean about the blotchiness now. When I did my version of coloring I kept a much more de-saturated look and didn't notice it. But I just got back from another quick flight under similar conditions so I'm gonna see how this one turned out. Thanks for everything again! @mikeallenfpv on instagram if you ever want to connect.

Highlighted
Adventurer

All I did was add what Color Director allowed.   Notice  where it says Tinged. then I added  with some darkness or brightness.  the  Background starts  getting lost info.  not good at it but can simply  apply  what may look right or wrong....  I am sure when the Weather is right.  Sometimes just using gopro color works.

Untitled.png

SnapShot.jpg

Highlighted
Hiker

When you look at the video properties for the files the HVEC file has a bitrate of 7Mbps and the AVC version 11Mbps.  Although it looks as if the AVC  should have more details the HEVC compression is about twice as efficient so would have a bitrate comparable to SVC at 14Mbps.

The banding in the sky is a common artefact of video.  The GoPro Hero 8, like many consumer cameras, uses a colour space of 8 bit 420.  Professional video would be recorded 10bit 422.

8 bit means that there is a colour gamult from 0 to 254 - so only 255 shades of a colour where as 10bit has 1024 shades.  When you look at the sky (or large areas with the similar colour) it has a little variance in colour across it which.  Because 255 means that one value is a bit of a step from the next you get the natural varience getting rounded off and creating bands of a single colour when it would naturally graduate (it would also graduate in 10bit)

TYhe banding can look worse depending on the bitrate as the compression may merve the colours more.

Try increasing the bitrate a bit if you can to see if that helps with the blockyness.

Highlighted
Tourist

You nailed it! Came back to give an update and saw your reply. Did some more digging after discussing with the other guy here because I still wasn't satisfied and didn't believe it was something I had to settle on. Sure enough, all problems went away with when I increased the bitrate. Never had this issue with higher quality camera footage so it never dawned on me, but now my GoPro footage looks amazing after editing! Thanks for your comment, that was exactly it!

Highlighted
Adventurer

yep we all learn higher the Bitrate, better the quality but  scenery as well plays a toll.     happy you found and got hte answer.