Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Am I expecting too much from the Fusion? Bad vids...

[ New ]

So I borrowed a Fusion from a friend to test it out, thinking if I liked it, I would buy one.  Took a lot of vids on a recent camping trip, recorded @ 4k, used Fusion Studio to load the clips to the PC, then used Premiere to assemble the vid.  I did this with the intent of making a VR vid to watch in the Quest, or any other headset.  The results are....crappy.  No on the PC, they don't look bad, but in the headset...even my wife who knows nothing about cameras, videos, etc, said "this is terrible, you can't post this!"  I tested a vid straight from the camera, and it is better, but not much.  Everything close to the camera looks ok, but everything else is very bad.  I exported from Premiere with the recommended settings, far as I know.  If I am expecting too much, let me know, as I have spent way too much time trying to get these vids to look great as it is!

Here is the vid straight from the Fusion:

https://youtu.be/pDXu1VorgAw

And here is my little vid I put together:

https://youtu.be/7xdoqDRDQG8

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Am I expecting too much from the Fusion? Bad vids...

[ New ]

So part of it's being unfamilier with the camera, the other part is camera limitation.

1:  You didn't record in 4K as the camera doesn't have a 4K recording option.  It only has a 3K @ 60FPS, 5.2K @ 30FPS and 5.6K @24fps option (the last only available if running the beta firmware).

2:  When rendering in Fusion Studio, you need to select "editing" as your output, whether that be 5.2K or 5.6K, but you need to select the highest quality output possible.

3:  You also need to set up your output in Premier Pro manually too.  Premier Pro has some outputs in there anyway (upload to youtube etc), but those settings just aren't realistic.  So I would select at least a minimum of Bit Rate 40 for your output, it will take longer to render, but since Youtube does it's own compression anyway, you really want to have a high quality output so not too much info is lost in the youtube compression.

4:  Yes, The Fusion gives you great quality for things close to the camera lens, but if you're looking at things further away, the quality will be worse than your average GoPro.  This is due to your average GoPro basically fitting 4K of footage into a 170 degree angle, but the Fusion is trying to fit 360 degree's worth of footage into a 5.8K sensor (stiched to 5.6K at max).  also the lens adds visible light splitting at the edges of the FOV.  This is why when I shoot, I will use a Fusion and at least 3 other normal GoPro camera's also.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fusion and I love shooting in 360 degree's, it's awesome, but I think it's best used in combination with another camera.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

So part of it's being unfamilier with the camera, the other part is camera limitation.

1:  You didn't record in 4K as the camera doesn't have a 4K recording option.  It only has a 3K @ 60FPS, 5.2K @ 30FPS and 5.6K @24fps option (the last only available if running the beta firmware).

2:  When rendering in Fusion Studio, you need to select "editing" as your output, whether that be 5.2K or 5.6K, but you need to select the highest quality output possible.

3:  You also need to set up your output in Premier Pro manually too.  Premier Pro has some outputs in there anyway (upload to youtube etc), but those settings just aren't realistic.  So I would select at least a minimum of Bit Rate 40 for your output, it will take longer to render, but since Youtube does it's own compression anyway, you really want to have a high quality output so not too much info is lost in the youtube compression.

4:  Yes, The Fusion gives you great quality for things close to the camera lens, but if you're looking at things further away, the quality will be worse than your average GoPro.  This is due to your average GoPro basically fitting 4K of footage into a 170 degree angle, but the Fusion is trying to fit 360 degree's worth of footage into a 5.8K sensor (stiched to 5.6K at max).  also the lens adds visible light splitting at the edges of the FOV.  This is why when I shoot, I will use a Fusion and at least 3 other normal GoPro camera's also.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fusion and I love shooting in 360 degree's, it's awesome, but I think it's best used in combination with another camera.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I stand corrected, 5.2k is what I had selected.  Not sure where I got the 4k from.  I am also not sure I chose "editing" when rendering in Fusion Studio, but will try it.

Thanks for the help!