Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Allways very hot and overheating shutdown on new Hero 7 Black

Hi there,

i have ordered the Hero 7 Black from this Website and using the card thats shipped with the camera. The Hero is up to date with the new Firmware and i have tried multiple sd cards now. 

Results on a Room with 23° Celsius:

Recording Time before Overhating and Shut Down: 

Orignal SD Card Sandisk 32 GB U3: about 15-20 min

Samsung Evo Plus 128 GB U3: about 15 min

Samsung Evo Plus 64 GB U3: about 15 min

Sandisk 200 GB U1 (not on the List):  about 25-30 min

(Same cards on the Hero 4 Silver: endles Recording)

This Problem appears on every Recording Format from tried 1080p / 2.7 / 1440p to 4K on every Frame Rate and Codec. The Cards are fully formated. If i use the camera with external Power and no Akku inside, it works without overheating shutdown, but the camera is even to hot to hold your fingers on the front after 10 minutes.

please Help

best regards Nadine

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Allways very hot and overheating shutdown on new Hero 7 Black

Did you run a manual update? If not, try that. If it doesn't resolve your issue, contact the GoPro Support Team https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Highlighted
Nomad

Hi,

My camera is hot as well after 12 minutes of 4k/60fps rec. The hottest part is a lens cover and battery as well. On the battery you have warning - do not heat up than 60 degree. Some youtuber mesure temp of case by laser and after ~ 50 min was 62 degree. Than emergency shutdown camera software just turn it off. My battery is from not Samsung A..... something.

I use 2 sd cards - Samsung Evo Plus 64GB which is not at the goprofriendly list and sandisk 32gb which they gave me with Gopro. 

I am very close to the decision to send it back :( First GoPro, so much money and huge dissapointing......

#GoPro do something.....

Highlighted
Explorer

Hot, or Hot and shutting down? Heat, especially around the lens is normal.
Highlighted
Explorer

Also, shutting down from heat after 50 min of continuous recording at 4K/60fps is to be expected. If the video you are referring to is the same as I'm thinking, you may notice that he actually gets more recording time than GoPro states should be expected.
Highlighted
Nomad

My GoPro after 12 minutes of 4k/60fps you will not keep in fingers more than 20 sec belive me. No it is not shutdown yet but I bet it is close. 

Highlighted
Explorer

Well, set it down and let it record until it shuts itself down. Then you'll know.
Highlighted
Nomad

I do not want to know "WHEN" but "WHY" this golden grall of sports camera is acting like 25$ sports camera from aliexpress ? We all want to know ~!!!! SO many great features which I cant use because my battery will be drain after 20 minutes and hot as well. I think GoPro should send everyone new battery - good, tested battery for free.