Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

All the issues I've had with my Hero7 Black so far. Which have you seen?

[ New ]
  1. Charge cable in - Charge light doesn't come on, doesn't charge at all.  (battery is way less than  100% so it should charge)
  2. Charge cable in - Charge light comes on, doesn't charge at all.   (battery is way less than  100% so it should charge)
  3. Charge cable in - Camera Off - Charge light comes on.  About 10 seconds later, the camera turns itself on (Startup on Voice is turned OFF).
  4. Put a new battery in the camera while not charging..   About 10 seconds later, the camera turns itself on (Startup on Voice is turned OFF)
  5. Put new uSD card in the camera while camera not charging..  About 10 seconds later, the camera turns itself on (Startup on Voice is turned OFF)
  6. Stop a recording, then say "GoPro Turn Off", it turns off.   10-60 seconds later, it turns itself back on  (Startup on Voice is turned OFF)
  7. When camera was new I immediately verified that Startup on Voice was turned off.  However it still responded to "GoPro Turn On"   (and thus presumably was draining the battery listening when it should be OFF).  
    To finally get it disabled I had to turn the Startup on Voice option ON, then OFF again (and it's been truly OFF for all the weird behavior above).
  8. Wifi option turned on, but camera turned OFF while not charging, Wifi is OFF (this is desired behavior).
    Start charging camera while it is OFF, Wifi comes ON.  If I'm charging it somewhere where there is no real Wifi network (such as in my car) then my phone immediately connects to the camera, and I lose internet connectivity until I remember to turn my phone's Wifi off (which then drains my phone's battery faster when I get home).   I suspect that GoPRo thinks this is some sort of feature but I don't want it.   Give me an option such that when camera if OFF Wifi is *always* OFF even if Wifi is otherwise enabled.
  9. Sometimes after I stop recording, it beeps once, followed by a very long pause, then 3 times to indicate it's actually stopping.  The pause is long enough that sometimes I think it was not recording to begin with and I've started recording, so I may hit start/stop button again.    Hero6 did this too.   It's especially annoying when dealing with this while helmet mounted and beeps are the only thing I have to tell me if it's recording or not recording.
  10. Sometimes after I stop recording, it beeps once, and then locks up.. becomes totally unresponsive, and only pulling the battery will fix it.    Hero6 did this too.  
  11. All Voice commands are disabled while in Playback mode.    Why?  "GoPro Turn Off" is usually faster than fumbling with the power button.   Sure would like to do it from Playback, or use it to instantly start a new Timelapse, or Video.. etc, without having to exit back to video/timelapse/photo mode first.

Just like the Hero6, I love the video this camera can produce, but the seemingly endless pile of bugs I have to plow through during normal operation is truly ridiculous.   I want to believe in GoPro so much and they make it so hard.

Which of the above have you experienced?   If you've got a new one, give it a new number. 

GoPro

Re: All the issues I've had with my Hero7 Black so far. Which have you seen?

[ New ]

Thank you for the feedback, @daemn42. These are good observations that you have shared. To verify, are all these issues still present even after manually updating the camera firmware and using a recommended card from this list

Hiker

[ New ]

Most of the issue above went away with an earlier update, but #8 and #11 remain even after 1.61.   
Wifi still turns itself on whenever the camera is charging, even though the camera itself is powered off.       Because my phone has to be set to auto-connect to GoPro's wifi for the app to work, any time I charge the GoPro in my car, the phone connects to it, and the internet becomes unreachable.   
And still no voice commands while in playback mode.  Why not?

Nomad

[ New ]

I have no explanation for #1-7. Potentially a wonky charger or cable.

#8 is a matter of how many people need that feature. I need my WiFi on when the camera is off to have the option of turning it back on wirelessly (often forgetting to connect the bluetooth). You could try starting a petition and sending it to GoPro as a feature request.

#9-10 sounds like a slow card. The pause is probably there to finish writing anything in the camera's buffer to the card and adding metadata. If the pause is excessively large, your card may be too slow. The freeze could be from an error during this process.

#11 is something I'd like to see. Obviously you cannot have voice commands DURING playback, but while scrolling through the menu it should be feasible. Unless reading the card and listening for voice control takes up too much processing power, this should be implementable.

Hiker

[ New ]

Re #8..  Keep in mind that Wifi only stays on while the camera is off, when it's plugged in, which is generally not the primary usage mode of the camera.  Besides, if it's plugged in,  why do you need to turn it back on at all? Why not just leave it turned on? 

Re #11 Yes I meant in playback menus or while video is paused, not while actually playing the video. 

Would be nice to jump straight to recording a video, or to turn the camera off.

Explorer

[ New ]
I think #8 might be due to settings. On the app, go into settings and see if the Auto Quick Story (retrieve media) is turned on or off. Also, have you set your camera up for auto cloud uploading to GoPro Plus? If yes, then the camera is turning on to upload. If not, ... well then I'm not sure.