Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

After just one charge my brand new hero6 wont recharge - what do I do?

I did a camera update as requested between the first charge and the battery running out - is that significant?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: After just one charge my brand new hero6 wont recharge - what do I do?

Remove your battery and SD card.
Hold down the power button for about 20 seconds.
Insert only the battery firmly into the camera.
Plug your camera into a wall charger
Using a USB or SD adapter, insert your microSD into your computer and format the card (what card, make/model/size are you using?)

Leave your camera on the wall charger for 3-8 hours.

If it charges, remove the battery, press the power/mode (side) button for about ten seconds and then insert the microSD followed by the battery.
Go into preferences and scroll down to delete and format the card (delete all) in the camera.

If the issue happens again with the microSD in the camera, you'll need a new/different card.

If the camera doesn't charge it could be the cable (try a different USB-C cable if you've got one), the battery, or the camera. If possible, exchange all three where you purchased the camera. A new update is coming in November. You might want to hold off if you can until then if you get a new camera.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Remove your battery and SD card.
Hold down the power button for about 20 seconds.
Insert only the battery firmly into the camera.
Plug your camera into a wall charger
Using a USB or SD adapter, insert your microSD into your computer and format the card (what card, make/model/size are you using?)

Leave your camera on the wall charger for 3-8 hours.

If it charges, remove the battery, press the power/mode (side) button for about ten seconds and then insert the microSD followed by the battery.
Go into preferences and scroll down to delete and format the card (delete all) in the camera.

If the issue happens again with the microSD in the camera, you'll need a new/different card.

If the camera doesn't charge it could be the cable (try a different USB-C cable if you've got one), the battery, or the camera. If possible, exchange all three where you purchased the camera. A new update is coming in November. You might want to hold off if you can until then if you get a new camera.
Highlighted
Tourist

OK - camera now on charge with red light on.  No SD card installed.  I bought a Sasung micro SD 128 GB U3 (fast  transfer speed) card.

I have formatted the SD card on my laptop and will resume following your instructions in 3 hours.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Explorer

Red light on is good to hear.

Is it a Samsung Evo? I'll be honest, the Evo isn't the greatest. I like and use the Samsung Pro/Pro+ so if it's one of those it should be fine. I did recently have an issue with my Samsung Pro Select which I used to recommend. I still need to do some testing, but as soon as I took the Samsung Pro Select out and switched to a Lexar 1000X the issues went away. It could just be that the card I have got damaged. Not sure yet.

Also, unless you really need it, it's best to not use cards bigger than 64GB in your camera. You shouldn't be using the card for long term storage and will want to format it from time to time. The larger the storage the more the performance of the card degrades and it also increases the chance of file corruption or camera lock ups due to saving error. It shouldn't happen frequently, but the risk is increased.
Highlighted
Hiker

Thank you for this info on the SD card capacity. Was thinking to buy a 128GB sandisk. Thank you!
Highlighted
Tourist

Yes its an EVO - I thought I had done the right thing in going big & fast...

Camera still charging - probabaly around half way now.

I'll come back when charging is complete and I have followed the next steps (could be tomorrow now).

Highlighted
Tourist

After 8 hours on charge, the red light was still on.  I unplugged the charger and the red light stayed on.  I followed your instructions and aside from adding a step where I had to switch on the camera, everything is now working.

This suggests that I may have an incompatible SD card which begs a couple of questions:

1. which card should I get for reliable operation?
  2. why is the camera so sensative to the card used?
  3. even if the camera is sensative to the card in use, why does this result in a failure to charge?

You refereed to an update due in November which implies this is a known problem. That being the case how about publishing an advice note containing a work around?