Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Accuracy of Hero 6 Black's GPS

Hello everyone

I have bought an hero 6 black camera in order to make movies inside my car with GPS data.

I have made some test

I use 1080 50 fps (pal .. im am french)

If I start from my garage GPS indicater will remain grey all the time and no Gps data recorded

if I wait a little bit outside, the indicater becomes white and gps data are included

But I have question about accuracy !
(On the same film I have used the Android apps GoPro and on my PC Quik software)

During my 15 minutes trip I was waiting 5 seconds at a STOP signal

And on the film the speed at this moment was ... 52 km/h (instead of 0 !!!)

Does anyone have advice for me ?

Regards
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Accuracy of Hero 6 Black's GPS

Hi @anubisher6blck

Please see if resetting the camera will work.  Reset Camera Settings
If it's still the same, proceed with a manual software update. https://gopro.com/update/
Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

Thank you for your quick answer
I must add that I am filming without battery .
My camera is connected by an USBC link
(No issues for filming !)
I will try all
Highlighted
Explorer

There are many things that can effect accuracy. Unlike a mobile device that can utilize cell towers, the camera has to rely solely upon satellite data. You need 9+ satellites for the best accuracy. Along with that, weather and environment can cause interference and multi-path propagation. When possible, you want the camera to have as clear a view of a clear sky as possible. Buildings, trees, and structures can block signals as well as cause signal bouncing (multi-path propagation) that cause the GPS sensor to read incorrect data

Download the app UAV Forecast on your phone. Go into settings and turn off GLONASS and Galileo. The app will tell you "Good to Fly" or "Not Good to fly". This app is used for drones, but you can use the data to determine the likelihood of you getting good accurate GPS readings.
Highlighted
Hiker

Thank you Daniel ! I was in the countryside on a sunny day .

Of course the Hero6 was INSIDE my car !
Highlighted
Explorer

While the GPS will work better outside, you can still use it inside your car.  If you use the app I suggested it will tell you the information you wont be able to see, such as satellite count, estimated satellite lock (9 or more is best), and the very important kp index (kp is the amount of solar interference. You want less than 4 ideally).  Things you can ignore are temperature and wind speed.  I forgot to mention these earlier, but for your purpose, go into settings and change them to allow for extreme conditions (unless, of course, you are using the app for drone flying as well).

Highlighted
Hiker

I have downloaded the app

Very interesting

The kp indice is surprising !
GPS can be wrong !!!!!!!
I have seen it once in a James Bond movie

Anyway I have the free version and I do not see how to turn off Galileo and GlOnass .. but I am keeping on
Highlighted
Hiker

I have found !
By clicking on the satellite Icon

Thus in my office I have only 6 satellites ! Instead of eleven !