Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Absolutely trash! Shame on you selling such a bull**bleep** product!

[ New ]

I'm absolutely disgusted by the product and the product software.
I bought the GoPro Hero 8 Black.

1. The Camera does not stop recording/close the filestream when battery get's low, so I get a corrupted videofile? Seriously? I'm a software developer and this is a precaution you seriously learn in the first lesson at university. So why can't you handle this?
2. It not possible to connect the camera via USB C to the Mac without the desktop GoPro Quik app. I don't see any media storage, even under /Volumes/ there is absolutely NOTHING!
3. Do I Seriously always have to fumble the SD Card out of this super tiny spot? Why? I know with the Desktop Quik App it worked (absolutely terrible slowly, but it worked).
4. Why do you sell a product that is absolutely not ready for market? How can you have this audacity?
5. I logged into this Forum and suddenly I get a NEW Account with a random username? Why? I have a GoPro Account, is it impossible (for you) to link forum and product account? Maybe you should think about hiring some serious software developers and not first graders.

GoPro Support, I want answers. Do you really sell a piece of trash?

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: Absolutely trash! Shame on you selling such a bull**bleep** product!

[ New ]
1. Shutdown was not caused by heat protection. If the GoPro overheats during normal usage without a case it underlines my opinion of being trash. The file is corrupted because the EOF Information is not written. I was able to manually write the eof header, but this is something that should never - under no circumstances - happen. And as a software developer I know that closing the filestream is a short process - even if the shutdown would be caused to prevent heat damages, nothing at all gets destroyed by closing the filestream before just hard cutting the power supply. Everything that gets regulated by hardware is readable by software - so it’s not like „ohh what the Camera gets too hot I have to power off immediately no one could foresee this“

2. A software developer does not use discontinued software. A software developer expects the software for a product that is still getting sold get‘s Updates. And I don’t want to always remove the SD Card (maybe you have little female fingers, but the SD card slot is quite deep in the camera. A good designed product keeps the SD Card at least half an mm outside and not half an mm inside the case).
So yes - it’s annoying to always have to fumble out the SD Card. Glad you don’t have any problems doing so, I have.
Why a software developer is so confused about the way file systems work is a question you can ask go pro regarding nr. 1.

3. Again - SD card deep in the camera, not as in every other good designed product who implements the Push to eject system. Or don’t you cut your fingernails? That would explain why it’s so easy for you.

4. Yes, they sell cameras. When you buy a camera you expect it record files which you copy to your computer, by sd card or by software. Unfortunately, with a GoPro this seems not to be possible in a comfortable way.

5. I logged in to my account, I did not create a new one. Login is not the same as register, I thought you know that?

So. Yes. I complain about getting corrupt files, because the main job of a camera is to write the sensordata to the file system and produce Videos or Fotos. GoPro failed in doing this basic job. Most of the time I don’t have another chance to record the footage sind i don’t always want to write EOF headers if the battery gets empty. I complain about bad product design, because the SD card is not easy to remove. I complain about missing up2date software because if the SD card is complicated to remove I want at least another way of copying the files to my computer.

But good news! - I have a solution. I can still use my 30 days money back guarantee and will buy a product from DJI. Because you know what? I have some of their drones. SD card super easy to remove, the filestream gets closed when Battery is too low and the software works smooth.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

[ New ]

1. The Camera does not stop recording / close the filestream when battery get's low, so I get a corrupted videofile? Seriously? I'm a software developer and this is a precaution you seriously learn in the first lesson at university. So why can't you handle this?

I have 2 x GoPro Hero 4, 2 x GoPro Hero 6, 2 x GoPro Hero 8, 2 x GoPro Fusions and 1 x GoPro Hero 9.  Everytime the battery gets low, it closes the file in progress and shuts down the camera.  As a software developer you should know this is the first thing GoPro implimented in their camera, why would you assume it's not?  Are you sure you didn't experience a thermal shutdown which would cut camera to the camera ASAP to prevent damage and would actually be regulated by the hardware?  You know, like the thermal protection built into a processor if there's a cooling fail.

2. It not possible to connect the camera via USB C to the Mac without the desktop GoPro Quik app. I don't see any media storage, even under / Volumes / there is absolutely NOTHING!

Why would a software developer use discontinued software that's over 2 years old to connect their camera?  Why would a software developer not want to bypass a USB bottle neck by simple using an SD card reader?  Did the software developer ensure that the GoPro USB connection method was set to MTP instead of GoPro connect?  Why is a software developer so confused by how file storage works?

3. Do I Seriously always have to fumble the SD Card out of this super tiny spot? Why? I know with the Desktop Quik App it worked (absolutely terrible slowly, but it worked).

Again, why would a software developer be using a program as awful as Quik?  A program so bad it hasn't been updated in 2 years, GoPro discontinued support and it's now outdated legacy software?  This doesn't seem like the rational actions of a sane person, let alone a software developer.  Why are you fumbling to get an easy to remove SD card out of a camera?  

4th Why do you sell a product that is absolutely not ready for market? How can you have this audacity?

GoPro sells camera's, unfortunately they rely on the ability of the customer to be smart enough to be able to use them.  As they say "There's always one..." in this case, I believe the techical term PICNIC can be adjusted to reflect the current user.

5. I logged into this forum and suddenly I get a NEW Account with a random username? Why? I have a GoPro Account, is it impossible (for you) to link forum and product account? Maybe you should think about hiring some serious software developers and not first graders.

That's a thing called "Privacy protection".  As a software developer you much surely understand that many message boards are actually hosted by 3rd party suppliers for both cost and legal protections (this way GoPro can distance themselves from any comments made in a public forum).  Are you seriously thinking GoPro should give over users account information to a 3rd party including login details?  Are you sure you're a software developer?  Why don't you know these things?

GoPro Support, I want answers. Do you really sell a piece of trash?

Hmmm, kinda weird that you call the camera a piece of trash when you have 1 complaint about getting corrupt files, 1 complaint about not being able to access it via USB (did you contact apple?), 1 complaint about your clumsy fingers being unable to operate an SD card slot, 1 complaint about the "audacity" of GoPro to deal with user errors, and a complaint about you not understanding website privacy between 3rd parties....    Look, contact Carson & Barnes Circus at your earliest convenience.  If they can train a circus animal to ride a bicycle they just may just be able to train you to operate a camera!  At least they may be able to help you be polite, respectful instead of a whiny complaining turd with a double digit IQ.  Just saying!

Tourist

[ New ]
1. Shutdown was not caused by heat protection. If the GoPro overheats during normal usage without a case it underlines my opinion of being trash. The file is corrupted because the EOF Information is not written. I was able to manually write the eof header, but this is something that should never - under no circumstances - happen. And as a software developer I know that closing the filestream is a short process - even if the shutdown would be caused to prevent heat damages, nothing at all gets destroyed by closing the filestream before just hard cutting the power supply. Everything that gets regulated by hardware is readable by software - so it’s not like „ohh what the Camera gets too hot I have to power off immediately no one could foresee this“

2. A software developer does not use discontinued software. A software developer expects the software for a product that is still getting sold get‘s Updates. And I don’t want to always remove the SD Card (maybe you have little female fingers, but the SD card slot is quite deep in the camera. A good designed product keeps the SD Card at least half an mm outside and not half an mm inside the case).
So yes - it’s annoying to always have to fumble out the SD Card. Glad you don’t have any problems doing so, I have.
Why a software developer is so confused about the way file systems work is a question you can ask go pro regarding nr. 1.

3. Again - SD card deep in the camera, not as in every other good designed product who implements the Push to eject system. Or don’t you cut your fingernails? That would explain why it’s so easy for you.

4. Yes, they sell cameras. When you buy a camera you expect it record files which you copy to your computer, by sd card or by software. Unfortunately, with a GoPro this seems not to be possible in a comfortable way.

5. I logged in to my account, I did not create a new one. Login is not the same as register, I thought you know that?

So. Yes. I complain about getting corrupt files, because the main job of a camera is to write the sensordata to the file system and produce Videos or Fotos. GoPro failed in doing this basic job. Most of the time I don’t have another chance to record the footage sind i don’t always want to write EOF headers if the battery gets empty. I complain about bad product design, because the SD card is not easy to remove. I complain about missing up2date software because if the SD card is complicated to remove I want at least another way of copying the files to my computer.

But good news! - I have a solution. I can still use my 30 days money back guarantee and will buy a product from DJI. Because you know what? I have some of their drones. SD card super easy to remove, the filestream gets closed when Battery is too low and the software works smooth.
Nomad

[ New ]

I don't have a Mac to test this, but have you tried putting your GoPro into MTP mode to transfer files from the camera to the computer via a USB cable? This works perfectly here on Windows 10.

MTP mode: on the GoPro Hero8 Black:

Preferences > Connections > USB Connection > MTP

This should keep you from having to transfer the SD card itself between devices.

If this works for you, I'm wondering if there is further information to resolve your other complaints.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, this does not work.
I have the Camera in MTP Mode, it says "USB Connected" but the Camera is not shown on my Mac, neither in the sidebar nor under /Volumes/

And the trouble continues: Sometimes, the GoPro does not power on even if the battery is 100% full. I have to remove it and re-insert it to make it work again. Additionally, sometimes it kind of freezes - the front display shows information but the back display/buttons does not react. Also in this case - I have to remove the battery and re-insert it.

Nomad

[ New ]

Tourist

[ New ]
Ahhh I see. You agree with me that the product is not ready for market and not worth the money.
Otherwise you would have some serious arguments :-)

Instead of being rude without any reason, tell me where I’m wrong with my arguments.
In short for the small brained people like you seem to be.

- Camera does not show up in finder/os, even in mtp mode - Bad software?
- Tiny SD Card Slot / Bad designed product - why? Bad product Designs?
- Filestream not closed when battery empty - bad software?
- Camera freezes - bad software?
Nomad

[ New ]

My last comment was about @irishmanpdx being a complete kn*b head. he's just a sad little troll i'm afraid. Just ignore it, he will soon be fed up and cry into he's justin beiber pillow.