Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

8 black times lapse of over 100 photos only makes a two second video. How do i stretch it out?

[ New ]

i try to make a time lapse video of a long hike i have he settings at 1 photo every 10 second and the Gopro turns 30min hike turns into a 2 second video. how can i fix this?

https://gopro.com/v/4yD4bEk22G20K

Nomad

Re: 8 black times lapse of over 100 photos only makes a two second video. How do i stretch it out?

[ New ]

This is indeed odd as at 30 mins, your timelapse should be at least 6 seconds long instead of 2.

You do know how timelapse works right?  Basically when you shoot a regular video, you're shooting at 30 Frames per second.  So a 30 minute hike would = 1800 seconds (30 minutes x 60 seconds per minute).  This would equal 5400 frames (1800 seconds x 30 frames per second).

When you set up your timelapse, you shot at 1 frame per 10 seconds.  So a 30 minutes hike would = 1800 seconds, divide this by 10 (1 photo every 10 seconds) and you end up with a time lapse of 180 photo's.  

When you make a timelapse video out of those 180 photos', you're basically putting all those photo's into a 30FPS (frames per second) video.  So that's 180 photo's divided by 30 = 6.  So your video should be 6 seconds long not 2 seconds long.  

If you want a longer timelapse video, then you have to increase the number of photo's you're taking.  So instead of 1 photo every 10 seconds, try lowering that to 1 photo every 2 seconds.  The more photo's you take, the longer your timelapse will be.  The less photo's you take, the shorter it will be.

Tourist

Re: 8 black times lapse of over 100 photos only makes a two second video. How do i stretch it out?

[ New ]
Yes I know how time lapse works I've used them before. But, I don't think anyone wants to shoot a time-lapse where each frame only last one .033 of a second.
In the past when I would do a time lapse it kept its frame/photo for about 1 to 2 seconds. Making more or less a fast slideshow. Which is great it is what I wanted I like going on long hikes or long drives and shooting a photo every 10 to 30 seconds and haveing about a 5 min video to remember it.. But Iatley the go pro is turning a 30+ min hike into a 2 second blurry video..
I do not know if I changed the settings or if an update downloaded wrong or what. All I know is I can't find a way to fix it, and I have been looking for a month online to see if any one has had the same issues, and found nothing. I have not seen one message on here of some one having the same issue. So that is why I started this post.
Nomad

[ New ]

Then it's the editor that you're using to turn those photo's into a video.  The default transition speed or length at which each photo is displayed has been shortened.  

Tourist

[ New ]
I am not using an editor. I am just using the go pro like I always have. The go pro make the video... I set it to time lapse video one photo very 10seconds. And it turns a 30< min hike into a 2 second video... I am wondering if the go pro is messed up or if i changed some setting on the go pro with out knowing. Im looking for help. I posted the video of the hike my go pro made after about 30min of hiking. I am just looking for some help, or if someone can give me a clear reason of why the hero 8 black is doing this?
Nomad

[ New ]
I just explained everything you need to know. The only thing I can recommend at this stage is getting a math tutor. Your settings, your output.
Nomad

[ New ]

@irishmanpdxalready explained it correctly!
There is "Time Lapse" (here you can set the interval) and "Timewarp" here the interval is set automatically.
With both functions, the individual images are combined into a VIDEO with 25 / 30FPS and not into a "slide show"!
So whatever you are with
"In the past when I was taking a time lapse, it kept its frame / photo for about 1 to 2 seconds."
have done - probably not with the functions mentioned.
But under "PHOTO" there is the function "SERIAL PHOTO" - here you can e.g. set a photo to be taken every 10 seconds for 60 seconds ...

By the way, I've already tried both Timewarp and Time Lapse with the Hero8 and Hero9 - there was NEVER a "slide show"! Unless you've found a hidden setting ...

By the way, neither time-lapse nor time-warp is intended for this;) If you want to turn a time-lapse video into a slide show, you would have to convert the video into individual images and click each individual image, for example. "Stretch" display duration for 10 seconds.

That only 2 seconds come out of your video, could it be because the battery was insufficient for the 30 minutes and the GoPro switched off earlier?

Tourist

[ New ]
@irishmanpdx im sorry but you are incorrect and also the math tutor comment was very in called for. I have had the 8Balck for about a year and have done many hikes with it. Im not sure how often you use the Time lapse setting, but it seems like you never have, so I will explain it to you. The go pro have 3 major setting photo, video, and Time Lapse. In the normal time lapse setting you can pick the format of the the Time Lapse to "Video" or "Photo". Now unless you are doing a time Lapse of somthing very dark and you need to photos to have a longer exposure, you always pick "Video" any one who uses a go pro in the last 5 to 6 years will tell you the same. I can post mote than a dozen videos of my friends and I going on hikes or boat rides or long Scenic Road Trips were I would have the settings even slower(like 1 photo per minute) when completed it would have a 2 to 5 min video turning a long event into a short shareable moments by capturing frames of a video at the set intervals. I honestly don't think any one would use time lapse thinking each frame/photo would only be 1/30th or 1/24th of a second, go pro are not made for and not used for making "stop motion videos" which is what both you and @oliverz513 are possibly thinking about.

As far has serial photo I think you mean LiveBurst... which is not what I'm trying to do...

Also i wrote a very fast slip show. If you want I can post videos to show you what I mean.
Also no to the theory of the low battery I carry a min of 3 battery s and very string portable chargers with me when my battery get to 10% I take it out and swap it for a full one and put the low one on charge. I avoid not having enough battery life to film somthing awesome and random from happening like a beae showing up or a moutian lion.

I am not a newb, I have done my research, I make fun videos or trips for my friends and family and i have used go pros for the last 6 years. I posted this because I was looking for actual help not insults or people trying to school me on the basics or taking random guesses with out have a ton of experience using the same settings I mentioned in the 1st post...

Before you reply take out you 8 Black set it to Time lapse then format it to video and have your intervals to 10s or longer, also I use resolution 4K lens is set to wide and zoom is naturally at 1.0x my PROTUNE is all default.

Let it sit or take a walk for 5 10min. Stop ot and look for your self at the end result it did not turn it in to 30fps or 24fps it will be 2fps..

On that note I will correct what I mentioned earlier when I said 1 photo/ frame for about 2 second I actually meant 2 photos/frame for about 1 second. Apologies

I really just want my go pro back to the way it was. And of some one could help that be great.