Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: 7 GoPro Bugs That Are Killing My Productivity (Hero7 Black, Smart Remote, 3.5mm Audio Adapter)

You're welcome... I hope removing the battery works for you if you've been having overheating problems with your Hero7.

I agree with you that upgrading to avoid bugs is an absolutely horrible solution and no way to treat customers!  I'm hoping that a GoPro engineer reads these threads and says to those in charge that we cannot treat customers this way, we should invest in fixing bugs like this on the current platform.  Honestly, GoPro forced me into remaining loyal to them and upgrading "early" in my mind simply because the competition doesn't have a solution.  As a company, that's a failing strategy.  I spent just as much time looking at the DJI Osmo and the Insta360 One R solutions as I did researching these issues with GoPro.  That should be concerning to all GoProcompany executives.  As I mentioned above, I'm a former silicon valley engineering executive and software engineer and I would have certainly pushed hard to get things like this fixed if I were a part of the company. 

For me, unfortunately the Osmo and the One R did not satisfy all of my requirements for an action camera....but the One R came very close!  What stops strategies like, "we'll ignore bugs in the current platform and customers will upgrade anyway" is competition.  So I applaud other companies for getting in the game, now they just need to compete and they'll win customers.

I'm keeping my eye on the Insta360 One R.  I don't really need a 3D camera, so I wish they would sell it without that option.  However, with the bluetooth microphone capability (it's supposedly coming in a firmware update) and some image quality improvements I'd certainly buy one and see if it worked for my application!

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: 7 GoPro Bugs That Are Killing My Productivity (Hero7 Black, Smart Remote, 3.5mm Audio Adapter)

I stand corrected, the Insta360 One R can be purchased in a 4K edition.
Highlighted
Hiker

I just want to give a final confirmation now that I've received my 8's and tested them...

Bug/Issue #1: Overheat With Batteries

This is likely still a problem in my hot FL climate.

Bug/Issue #2: Batteries Required Bug

Batteries are not required to operate the media mod with the Hero8....you can externally power it all via the USBC port.

Bug/Issue #3: Smart Remote Drops Connection to Hero7 Black

I experienced no drops on either Hero8 during my minimal testing and the Hero8 was set to its default of 5GHz.  It looks like the bug in the Hero7 was fixed in the Hero8.

Bug/Issue #5: Hero7 Black Does Not Support Looping - (Neither Does the Hero8 Unfortunately!)

It turns out that the Hero8 dissapoints in this area as although it does support looping in 4K 30fps, it does not support looping in 2.7K 24fps at all.  So, this is still a bug!  I wish GoPro would just code looping so that it works in every mode!  Because it does not work in my target mode I'll have to continue to use the manual Hilite button press to mark files I want to keep and fill up my memory card along the way.  I may try 4K 30 but then I'm over recording and downsampling more than I want.  GOPRO PLEASE FIX THIS!  Please allow us to use looping in any mode we want.

Highlighted
Hiker

@ronj25 : Danke! Du beschreibst genau meine Meinung und meine Erfahrungen. Ich würde als Kunde sogar unterstützen und testen. Aber die Ignoranz mit der die Fehler in der Hero 7 einfach nicht beachtet werden, ist nich nicht zu verstehen. Ich bin auch Ingenieur, in der Softwareentwicklung von KI-Systemen (AI). Ich kann mir ein solches Verhalten gegenüber den zahlenden Kunden nicht erlauben.

Highlighted
Tourist

Wow what a total headache. I am so disapointed. I am a Producer of a fishing show and I share your pain. I bought the 8 for the audio mod. The audio mod does not work with looping. I need looping because I am too busy filming with my broadcast camera to start and stop the GoPro's remotley. The Gopro 6 seems to be the best GoPro because it loops UHD at 60 fps. The audio is terrible. Gopro keeps pretending they are adding great audio features. In the end they are completely dissapointing. Great marketing though. Thanks GoPro.

I don't understand why setting a video mode would dissable a feature? Why would anybody buying a product expect that. 

Every feature needs to work with looping. That is what professonals need. GoPro? GoNo. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Interesting, I'm Kayak Fishing Addict on YouTube :).  I just tried a loop recording with my Hero8+Media Mod setup and it seems to work.  Are you sure it doesn't work for you?  I didn't let the loop finish but the first 10 seconds had audio and my I/O setting is "media mod".  What are you seeing to make you think it doesn't work with looping?  BTW, if looping doesn't work with the Media Mod then that needs to be added to my list!  

Highlighted
Tourist

As soon as you change the video mode to looping Protune dissapears. Protune is where you select front, rear, or stero setting for the mod.

With the shotgun mic set to front I should record the audio of the people in front of the camera. My camera is mounted on the front of our bass boat and all I am getting is very loud water lapping sounds and faint voices. I think I am getting audio from the gopro not the mod. In looping mode you can not set your screen icons (shortcuts) to audio. I tried that as a work around.  

Highlighted
Hiker

Wow.  Ok,  You should report that to GoPro in a separate thread so they get it!  Unfortunately looping doesn't work for my situation as I filme at 2.7K....otherwise I'd run smack into the issue you're reporting with the media mod.  I really wish GoPro was more responsive to customer bug reports!