Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

7 GoPro Bugs That Are Killing My Productivity (Hero7 Black, Smart Remote, 3.5mm Audio Adapter)

Summary

GoPro has a number of bugs and compatibility issues that are killing my productivity.  I’m reporting these hoping that GoPro can tackle them and fix them.  My background?  I’m a former software engineer and technology executive for several big silicon valley companies who is simply trying to efficiently create content for a YouTube channel.

Use Case

I use the following GoPro equipment to capture 4K (2.7K, 24fps) kayak fishing videos for my channel.  I capture two simultaneous angles with the highest quality audio I possibly can.  I power my GoPros externally to avoid having to change batteries and mainly due to the fact that the back angle I shoot from is unreachable while I’m on the kayak.  And there aren’t always good places to stop to get off to change a battery.  Besides, who wants to do that every 20-45 minutes (2 cameras simultaneously running but the batteries run out at different times and it creates a nightmare in post production)!

GoPro Equipment

• GoPro Hero 7 Black - for front angle shots
  • GoPro Hero 7 Black - for back angle shots
  • GoPro Smart Remote - to start and stop both cameras simultaneously
  • GoPro 3.5mm audio jack dongle

Other Equipment

• Nocqua 10ah battery - powers the GoPros and a Garmin fish finder
  • Tascam DR-10L - used to capture audio but I’m trying to replace it with something that will integrate audio with the GoPros as it’s captured
  • Rode Wireless Go - used to integrate audio directly into the GoPros during capture in order to reduce post sync work
  • Rode Wireless Go Lav
  • DJI Mavic Mini

Issues/Bugs

Here are the issues that I am running into.  If the engineering team sees these I’m confident they will be able to reproduce the bugs.  If not, please feel free to reach out to me and I’ll happily assist.

Bug/Issue #1: Overheat With Batteries

When I use the Tascam to record audio I remove the batteries from the GoPros because if I leave the batteries in the units they eventually overheat and stop recording.  That’s regardless of if I power the cameras via external power or not.  So batteries only, they overheat.  Batteries + external power, they overheat.  It doesn’t matter if I use GoPro batteries or 3rd party batteries, the GoPros overheat and shut down, both of them!  It seems like this is a known issue as I’ve seen others have it too.

My Workaround: Remove the batteries and simply rely on external power and they work fine without overheating.  I’m very happy with this workaround, although it is no longer a possiblity due to Bug/Issue #2

Bug/Issue #2: Batteries Required Bug

When I use the Rode Wireless Go to record audio directly to the GoPro, I want to remove the batteries from the GoPros because of Bug/Issue #1, however, it seems that the GoPro 3.5mm audio jack dongle won’t pass through the USB power to the camera unless there is a battery in the camera.  If I insert a battery into the camera, plug in the dongle, and connect the USB external power cable….everything works….for about 20 minutes and then the camera powers off and stops recording (see Bug/Issue #1).

Workaround:  There is none that I can think of which means I may need to return the Rode Wireless Go and Wireless Go Lav and continue to just use the Tascam and go through the extra sync work (syncing an independent audio track to the video tracks) required in post production.  I’m still researching this and hoping that this is not a design flaw in the GoPro or if my second camera needs warranty service….keep reading and you’ll see why my first one does.

Bug/Issue #3: Smart Remote Drops Connection to Hero7 Black

For the 20 minutes that the Rode Wireless Go + GoPro 3.5” dongle + Hero7 Black are working another issue seems to creep up.  The result is that the GoPro Smart Remote stops being able to control that back camera that is attached to the dongle and the Rode Wireless Go.  There’s no warning.  I simply press to start a recording and the Hero7 Black simply just doesn’t respond.  The front camera responds just fine, but the back one that is attached to the audio dongle doesn’t work at all.  I’m researching this but I suspect that the GoPro Wifi is disconnecting from the Smart Remote due to the 2.4GHz Rode Wireless system possibly looking like interference.  The problem is intermittent but highly reproducible.

Bug/Issue #4: Hero7 Black Does Not Recognize GoPro 3.5mm Audio Dongle

One of my Hero7 Blacks recognizes the dongle and the other one does not.  GoPro is doing a warranty exchange on this one for me.  The issue I have is more of a process issue this time.  GoPro requires that I send the camera to them before they send the replacement.  Other companies would at least take a credit card and charge the full price if the warranty unit was never returned.

Workaround: The workaround suggested by the chat CSR is to purchase a new one to use while the exchange is happening and then return the new one within 30 days for a full refund.  I have to believe that would make the execs at GoPro cringe, however, the CSR is simply trying to help the customer due to the policy issue with warranty returns.  If I were an exec there, I would reward the CSR and change the policy!

Bug/Issue #5: Hero7 Black Does Not Support Looping

I would really like to use looping video but alas it is not supported at 2.7K 24fps with HyperSmooth.  Can you please fix this?  My guess is that there may be a performance issue you’re trying to avoid.  If quality is the priority, I’m sure the engineering team can deliver!

Bug/Issue #6: GoPro Smart Remote Does Not Create Hilte’s

Because of Bug/Issue #5, I’m forced to use the smart remote to start and stop video recording every 10 minutes or so and use Hilite’s to mark videos that I want to keep the action recorded in the prior 10 minutes.  Keeping the video clips small and being able to discard footage without having to even watch it dramatically reduces the time spent in post production!  So, although the GoPro Smart Remote advertises (1) that it works with multiple cameras simultaneously, and (2) can be used to create Hilites; it actually does not work!  In fact, it is documented on GoPro’s site that it does not create Hilites if you have more than one camera connected to it.  I find it misleading that the box states one thing and the website fine print states the opposite.  The box is misleading!  Either way, this should be fixed…why not create hiltes on all connected cameras that are currently recording?

Workaround:  My workaround is to use my front camera on a swinging Railblaza boom that allows me to swing it in, hit the hilite button manually, swing it back out, and then use the SmartRemote to stop recording the video on both cameras simultaneously.  This is very silly!  And many times I forget the hilite.  When I do that, I start a new video, hit the manual hilite button, then record a note to myself to grab the prior video.  It’s still a nightmare in post but it works.

Bug/Issue #7: Quik Application Needs to Support Copying Files

From Bug/Issue #6 above, you see that I use hiltes to mark files that I want to keep.  Quik could help me get to those files much faster if it supported copying files.  After I import using Quik, which I have to do in order to see which files contain hilites, I can filter all of the imports to see only the ones with hilites.  What I can’t do is then copy those files to move them to another directory.  I can’t delete the files that don’t have hiltes.  So, I’m currently stuck right clicking in quik, obtaining the filename, finding the file in finder (I’m on a mac), and then copying the file…..rinse wash and repeat for all files with hiltes.  What I’d rather do is select all with hilites, which the application supports, but it won’t copy the files and allow me to paste them to another directory in finder.

Conclusion

I’m going back to the Tascam and Hero7’s without the dongle and wireless go for now.  However, that is not the solution.  I’m hoping that GoPro can help me with these issues before I have to return the dongle, and other equipment.  I also hope that the Hero8 Black doesn’t have these same problems!  Is upgrading a solution?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: 7 GoPro Bugs That Are Killing My Productivity (Hero7 Black, Smart Remote, 3.5mm Audio Adapter)

Well, it seems like the way around the critical bugs listed above is to upgrade to the Hero8.  My two upgrades are on the way to truly test that theory out, but I do have anecdotal evidence that it is the solution.  Here’s what I expect and thus I’m marking this as the answer, albeit not truly satisfactory as GoPro should fix these bugs for the Hero7!

Both the Hero7 and the Hero8 will overheat.  The solution on both for my application (outdoor shooting in FL for 4+ hours straight) is to remove the batteries and power the cameras externally.  I film at 2.7K 24fps for most of my footage and I use the GoPro Smart Remote to simultaneously start and stop recordings.  I also require an external audio solution, one that I'm trying to integrate with one of the cameras so that I can skip syncing audio and video in post production.  All of the other power hogging settings on the camera are off - (e.g. GPS).  The only other heat solution would be to reduce the resolution and that’s not an option for me.

Workaround: Remove the battery and externally power your GoPros - Hero7 and Hero8.

The Hero7 requires the internal battery if connected to the 3.5 mic adapter in order for it to work.  That's per GoPro support and my testing this week.  I have yet to find anyone who has been able to use the mic adapter without the internal battery installed.  The Hero8 does not require the internal battery to power itself and the Media Mod via the USBC port.  That's per GoPro support who tested it and another YouTuber I know who uses Hero8's.

Workaround: use Hero8

GoPro Support confirms that the Smart Remote only works on a 2.4GHz network.  Others also report flakey connectivity when the Hero7 camera is running in the 5GHz network mode.  Another user I know says the Smart Remote connection is rock solid to three of her Hero8’s while the Hero8 is in the 5 GHz mode.  I ran tests at 2.4 GHz with my cameras this week and it definitely is a far more reliable connection.

Workaround: Drop Hero7 to 2.4 GHz or use Hero8.

Workaround: This Hero7 is being replaced by GoPro warranty service.

The Hero7 does not support looping at 2.7K or 4K.  The Hero8 does.

Workaround: Hero8

This is a feature request to GoPro.  But, it seems that the Hero8 supports looping mode at 2.7k or 4k.  The Hero7 does not.  I was using the hilite feature to simply mark files that I know had good footage in them as a replacement to simply using looping mode....although I still need to figure out if that will work reliably in my multicamera setup.

Workaround: None for Hero7, or use Hero8 looping mode.

This is a feature request to GoPro.  But, the reason I wanted this feature is that I had to import everything I recorded off of the card, and then I used the hilite feature to determine which files to keep.  I wanted to select all of the hilite files and copy them to my editing folder.  The Hero8 however supports looping so, ideally, at most there will be a single file (the last one recorded for the session when I stop the camera) that may not be necessary.  That will result in less files and no need to even really use Quik to import the footage.

PS Anybody want to buy two Hero7 Blacks?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: 7 GoPro Bugs That Are Killing My Productivity (Hero7 Black, Smart Remote, 3.5mm Audio Adapter)

A quick update for those that might be following this thread.

This has been confirmed by GoPros chat support.  I'd like to find anyone who has the 3.5mm adapter working on an externally powered Hero7 without the internal battery inserted though...just in case it's really something else.

I found something that says the GoPro Smart Remote does not support 5GHz wifi, only 2.4 GHz.  I'm working to confirm that.  If that's the case, even though I set my Hero7's at 5 GHz only (yes the menu description says only), somehow GoPro is backdooring a 2.4GHz enabling when you pair a Smart Remote.  This is only a theory at the moment.  But, if that is the case, then likely there is interference with the Rode Wireless GO system.  I'll reply with more if I can confirm this.

Highlighted
Hiker

Danke für deinen Beitrag. Er bestätigt viele der Probleme die mich seit dem Kauf einer GoPro auch beschäftigen.

Ja, die Smart Remote arbeitet nur mit 2,4 GHz (manchmal) stabil. Das voreingestellte 5 GHz WLAN der Kamera ist nutzlos beim Umgang mit einer Smart Remote.

Ich hätte meine Rollei 425 gerne behalten, aber sie hatte keine Bildstabilisierung und keine 2.7k Videos. Die Funkfernbedienung der Rollei blieb immer am Motorrad. Ich musste sie einmal im Jahr! entfernen, um die Knopfbatterie zu tauschen! Keine Verbindungsprobleme und immer bereit. Dann hat auch Rollei mit BT und WLAN experimentiert. Die können es auch nicht :-) Überall nur ....

Und dann war da die Hoffnung mit dem Marktführer. Ich frage mich warum so viele Menschen ein so schlechtes Produkt kaufen. Ich spreche nicht von der Bildqualität, die ist sensationell gut. Auch nicht von der Videostabilisierung, die ist richtig coll. Auch nicht von der Verarbeitung, die ist überwiegend aussergewöhnlich. Auch nicht von den Funktionen wie Zeitraffer, Bildeinstellungen, Lichtwechsel usw. Eigentlich alles was man für die Verewigung seine Action benötigt. Aber die Fehlerliste ist leider viel länger und macht die Handhabung fast unmöglich.

Und wenn du mal nachschaust, was sie entwickeln, dann fehlen mir die Worte: Installation neuer Funktionen per QR-Code, EMail und Adresse in die Videos einblenden und weiteres, was aus meiner Sicht unnütz ist und nur den Akku frisst und weitere Fehler produzieren wird.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for your reply.

You stated that, "Yes, the Smart Remote only works stable at 2.4 GHz (sometimes)". Does that mean it is supposed to work at 5GHz but doesn't? Is that documented anywhere?

As for the new features on the Hero8.... I'm sure the engineering team wants to innovate and is spending time on that. I believe innovation is good and should result in a better product. I only have an issue if they are investing in that innovation without being focussed on fixing the current platform bugs!
Highlighted
Hiker

In einem Beitrag eines Benutzers habe ich genau das gelesen: die Smart Remote funktioniert am Besten bei 2.4 GHz. Bei 5 GHz verliert sie oft den Kontakt zur Kamera. Genau diese Erfahrung habe ich auch gemacht. Die Kamera vorne am Motorrad, die Remote am Lenker und schon war die Verbindug unterbrochen.

Und danke für deine Anmerkung zu Innovation. Ich arbeite im Bereich der AI. Hier ist Innovation das tägliche Motto! Leider habe ich bei GoPro derzeit nicht den Eindruck dass sie innovativ sind. Und um die schwerwiegenden aktuellen Probleme kümmern sie sich leider gar nicht.

Der Kunde ist Beta-Tester. Leider. Ich brauche eine Actioncam mit der Bildqualität und Videostabilisierung der GoPro, die immer wenn ich sie benutzen möchte auch funktioniert. Vorallem mit Fernbedienung. Ich bin sehr sehr enttäuscht von GoPro.

Ich teste gerne jede noch so unsinnige neue Funktion, solange das Produkt ansich funktioniert. Dann bin ich auch gerne Beta-Tester, wenn die Grundfunktionalität da ist, die ich bezahlt habe. Aber nur dann. Hey, wollen wir demnächst mal QRCodes einlesen anstatt draußen blöde Aktionvideos zu machen? Smiley LOL Smiley Frustrated 

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for the confirmation.  I just decided to test this out.  I switched my Hero7's to use 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz and reran all of the tests.  Out of about 20 or so starts and stops, the second camera only missed one.  That's fairly typical.  So...

Is actually a bug.  The Smart Remote Drops connections frequently when the GoPro cameras are set to 5GHz.  

THe work around is to set the wifi network on the cameras to 2.4GHz.

In my tests, this didn't seem to interfere with the operation of the Rode Wireless Go transmission as the audio seemed to record via the audio adapter onto the cmaera's recording just fine.

Now, if only Bug #2 wasn't there, I would have a decent fix.

Highlighted
Hiker

Well, it seems like the way around the critical bugs listed above is to upgrade to the Hero8.  My two upgrades are on the way to truly test that theory out, but I do have anecdotal evidence that it is the solution.  Here’s what I expect and thus I’m marking this as the answer, albeit not truly satisfactory as GoPro should fix these bugs for the Hero7!

Both the Hero7 and the Hero8 will overheat.  The solution on both for my application (outdoor shooting in FL for 4+ hours straight) is to remove the batteries and power the cameras externally.  I film at 2.7K 24fps for most of my footage and I use the GoPro Smart Remote to simultaneously start and stop recordings.  I also require an external audio solution, one that I'm trying to integrate with one of the cameras so that I can skip syncing audio and video in post production.  All of the other power hogging settings on the camera are off - (e.g. GPS).  The only other heat solution would be to reduce the resolution and that’s not an option for me.

Workaround: Remove the battery and externally power your GoPros - Hero7 and Hero8.

The Hero7 requires the internal battery if connected to the 3.5 mic adapter in order for it to work.  That's per GoPro support and my testing this week.  I have yet to find anyone who has been able to use the mic adapter without the internal battery installed.  The Hero8 does not require the internal battery to power itself and the Media Mod via the USBC port.  That's per GoPro support who tested it and another YouTuber I know who uses Hero8's.

Workaround: use Hero8

GoPro Support confirms that the Smart Remote only works on a 2.4GHz network.  Others also report flakey connectivity when the Hero7 camera is running in the 5GHz network mode.  Another user I know says the Smart Remote connection is rock solid to three of her Hero8’s while the Hero8 is in the 5 GHz mode.  I ran tests at 2.4 GHz with my cameras this week and it definitely is a far more reliable connection.

Workaround: Drop Hero7 to 2.4 GHz or use Hero8.

Workaround: This Hero7 is being replaced by GoPro warranty service.

The Hero7 does not support looping at 2.7K or 4K.  The Hero8 does.

Workaround: Hero8

This is a feature request to GoPro.  But, it seems that the Hero8 supports looping mode at 2.7k or 4k.  The Hero7 does not.  I was using the hilite feature to simply mark files that I know had good footage in them as a replacement to simply using looping mode....although I still need to figure out if that will work reliably in my multicamera setup.

This is a feature request to GoPro.  But, the reason I wanted this feature is that I had to import everything I recorded off of the card, and then I used the hilite feature to determine which files to keep.  I wanted to select all of the hilite files and copy them to my editing folder.  The Hero8 however supports looping so, ideally, at most there will be a single file (the last one recorded for the session when I stop the camera) that may not be necessary.  That will result in less files and no need to even really use Quik to import the footage.

PS Anybody want to buy two Hero7 Blacks?

Highlighted
Hiker

Gut dass du für dich ein Lösung gefunden hast. Danke für deinen ausführlichen Bericht. Den Tipp mit dem Entfernen des Akku werde ich ausprobieren (allerdings muss ich eine Lösung finden, am Motorrad ein Kabel verlegen zu können). 

Für mich kommt die Lösung Hero 7 "updaten" auf Hero 8 nicht in Frage. Es gibt andere Einschränkungen (Linse kann nicht getauscht werden), die mir nicht gefallen. Zudem finde ich es zu teuer nach 400€ nochmals weitere 350€ für die Hero 8 auszugeben. Ich denke nicht, dass du ein kostenloses Update bekommen hast.