Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

4K Linear vs SuperWide

Hi, I just got my first GoPro and I'm trying to figure out the highest quality settings? Is the Linear mode just a crop of the 4K data, something that could be acheived in post by shooting super wide or wide? If quality is my main objective and I'm not worried about post-processing time, what and why is the best lens mode? Thanks.

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: 4K Linear vs SuperWide

The mode that uses the entire sensor, has the least amount of crop, and does not have in camera distortion correction applied in camera is 4K Wide in 4:3.  Superview uses the same full sensor, but then dynamically stretches the image into 16:9.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for that, when you say it dynamically stretches the image do you mean something similar to the way anamorphic lenses work? I think recording in 4:3 would be my preferred method but out of curiosity do you notice a difference in quality between those two?
Highlighted
Explorer

This article explains it pretty well http://abekislevitz.com/43-gopro-footage-explained/

Instead of the dynamic stretch being done in an editor, the camera does it when using the Superview setting.
Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you very much, that site is very helpful