Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: 360 footage Pixelated

All great advice. 🙂👍
Highlighted
Tourist

Iv'e tried both resolutions and had the same outcome.

What do you recommend for Pro tune? I'm currently at work and editing footage, camera is at home.

When exported using Fusion it's still pixelated and grainy.

Where is the variable bit rate, is this in Fusion or Adobe, I can seem to find it.

MacBook Pro

2.3GHz Intel Core i5

8GB 2133 MHz

Intel Irsi Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB

250TB

Awaiting your reply, thanks for the advice so far, I'm thinking computer may also need upgrading?

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the advice will definitely try all recommendations and post my findings. I try to wipe the lens as much as possible bit hard when your on the tracks.
Highlighted
Nomad

That's because the problem is with your export settings.  It doesn't matter what your camera settings are if your export settings are incorrect.  Your final export from Premier Pro is of low quality and this is being hampered even more by YouTube's compression.

What do you recommend for Pro tune? I'm currently at work and editing footage, camera is at home.

That would depend on the shooting conditions, lighting conditions and subject involved.  Unless you have a good knowledge of all of these things, you just shouldn't use ProTune.  You'll only get worst results.

The above statement doesn't make much sense.  Your GoPro Fusion doesn't have an export option, it only records video.  You can then copy your video to your PC.  You can use GoPro Fusion Studio on your PC to stitch and render your captured video into an overcapture video or a 360 degree spherical video.  Is it possible that when selecting the export options in GoPro Fusion Studio you are selecting "Youtube" as your export option?  In which case this could be the cause of the issue.  The YouTube option should only be used for overcapture 1080P video.  If you're using this option for exporting 360 degree video at 1080P, then you're looking at a huge loss in quality.

I would suggest the following

When stitching and rendering your footage in GoPro Fusion Studio, make sure you are either rendering it at 5.6K @24fps or 5.2K @ 30FPS (ideally you should match the format you recorded in).  This could take between 3 - 11 minutes per 1 minute of video (I'm unfamilier with your exact PC specs, so I can only guess at the time it will take).  It will also result in some very large file sizes.  If you use an external hard drive for storage, this could actually increase render times due to the slow transfer speeds involved.

Where is the variable bit rate, is this in Fusion or Adobe, I can seem to find it.

Since you don't know where the variable bit rate settings are, I again will state that the issue is being caused by your export settings.  GoPro Fusion Studio is very limited in it's export options and doesn't have a variable bit rate setting.  However if you are stitching and rendering using the incorrect settings in GoPro Fusion Studio, then it won't really matter what settings you use in Adobe Premier as you cannot increase the quality of bad source material.

Upgrading your PC won't help in the slightest with image quality if your export settings are incorrect.  You can have a $20,000 PC that will render the exact same image as a $300 PC if the image settings are the same.  The only difference will be the speed at which the footage is rendered.  The best things to look at when upgrading a PC for video editing will be the processor speed and amount of cores, the graphics card, the amount of available ram and the largest SSD possible.  

Highlighted
Nomad

That's because the problem is with your export settings.  It doesn't matter what your camera settings are if your export settings are incorrect.  Your final export from Premier Pro is of low quality and this is being hampered even more by YouTube's compression.

That would depend on the shooting conditions, lighting conditions and subject involved.  Unless you have a good knowledge of all of these things, you just shouldn't use ProTune.  You'll only get worst results.

The above statement doesn't make much sense.  Your GoPro Fusion doesn't have an export option, it only records video.  You can then copy your video to your PC.  You can use GoPro Fusion Studio on your PC to stitch and render your captured video into an overcapture video or a 360 degree spherical video.  Is it possible that when selecting the export options in GoPro Fusion Studio you are selecting "Youtube" as your export option?  In which case this could be the cause of the issue.  The YouTube option should only be used for overcapture 1080P video.  If you're using this option for exporting 360 degree video at 1080P, then you're looking at a huge loss in quality.

I would suggest the following

When stitching and rendering your footage in GoPro Fusion Studio, make sure you are either rendering it at 5.6K @24fps or 5.2K @ 30FPS (ideally you should match the format you recorded in).  This could take between 3 - 11 minutes per 1 minute of video (I'm unfamilier with your exact PC specs, so I can only guess at the time it will take).  It will also result in some very large file sizes.  If you use an external hard drive for storage, this could actually increase render times due to the slow transfer speeds involved.

Since you don't know where the variable bit rate settings are, I again will state that the issue is being caused by your export settings.  GoPro Fusion Studio is very limited in it's export options and doesn't have a variable bit rate setting.  However if you are stitching and rendering using the incorrect settings in GoPro Fusion Studio, then it won't really matter what settings you use in Adobe Premier as you cannot increase the quality of bad source material.

Upgrading your PC won't help in the slightest with image quality if your export settings are incorrect.  You can have a $20,000 PC that will render the exact same image as a $300 PC if the image settings are the same.  The only difference will be the speed at which the footage is rendered.  The best things to look at when upgrading a PC for video editing will be the processor speed and amount of cores, the graphics card, the amount of available ram and the largest SSD possible.  

Highlighted
Nomad

Wiping the lens will help get rid of stitching artifacts for sure, but you're right, not really practical when you're riding.  Another thing to try is using the GoPro Fusion Grips tripod feature.  Set the camera up on a corner and ride past it, then use the GoPro reframe plugin to do a sweeping pan as you pass by on the bike.  You could also use an extra long selfie stick, try to mount it on the front of the bike with a clamp.  Get the floating camera effect in front of you as you ride.  

Highlighted
Explorer

Variable bitrate is found in Adobe Premiere Pro in your export settings where you select the bitrate. Your options will be listed as CBR (constant bitrate), VBR 1 pass (variable bitrate - allows editor to use higher bitrates in the video when available and needed for best quality), and VBR 2 pass (same as VBR 1 pass but the editor checks twice to maximize quality).

Your computer is pretty low in specs, so expect the render to take a pretty long time to complete. The biggest concern, however, is that you are reporting the video not looking good (in GoPro vr player?) once it's processed out of Fusion Studio. If the video doesn't look good straight out of Fusion Studio, all the bitrates in the world won't help when editing in Premier Pro.

For your Protune settings (in same or similar setting), 5.2K/30fps, ISO 400, EV -0.5 should look good. When you export out of Fusion Studio you want to use 5.2K and ProRes 422 (Since your on a Mac. CineForm 'High 422' is best on a PC). Additionally, if you use the Flat color profile you'll be able to much more tweaking of the Color grading and sharpening in Premier Pro (This is really just a preference thing. Leaving it as GoPro color is fine if you don't want to meet with the Lumetri colors too much).
Highlighted
Explorer

BTW, Protune is more than just a way to change settings. It increases the bitrate of the video. Protune should always be turned on for the best results (even if you leave the settings as is).