Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

256 GB SD Card

[ New ]

I would like to ask if the Hero 5 lineup or the Hero5 Black mainly supports 256GB SD card or not because I have heard rumors that it does or will. So is there any news on it?

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: 256 GB SD Card

[ New ]
The largest supported SD cards tested and recommended by GoPro are the 128GB Lexar 1000X and 128GB Samsung Pro Plus. If you've heard that others have used 256GB then you have user testimony. I'm not sure if you are looking for a yes/no or just more testimony of people who have used a 256GB. Since this is not the GoPro Support Team but rather a user support site, I don't think anyone is qualified to give you a yes/no beyond what information is posted on the GoPro website.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

128GB is the max size.

I would prefer to have more than one uSD anyhow. It something goes wrong with the card (or i.e. Camera gets lost/stolen) everything will be gone. In case of multiple cards only last footage is affected.

I'm using multiple 64GB cards

Explorer

[ New ]

@stalkhold

I believe that the camera can, but it's not recommended.  Unless you are doing some incredibly long continuous project with an external power supply, there really isn't a good use case for them.  FYI: If you are planning this, be sure to provide some cooling measures for the camera as if it gets too hot, it will automatically shut down.

I've found in almost every instance of shooting, I run out of battery long before I can fill a 64GB card.  As @joergq85077 noted, using a smaller card results in less lost footage in case something goes wrong.

Hiker

[ New ]

I know about that. I myself use multiple 32 GB ones to easily swap whenever I run out of memory but all I really wanna know is that does it really support 256 GB or not.

Hiker

[ New ]

@danielr15 really appreciate the input on the cooling down of the camera for longer shoots but all I really wanna know is if it supports it or not before I buy one.

Explorer

[ New ]
The largest supported SD cards tested and recommended by GoPro are the 128GB Lexar 1000X and 128GB Samsung Pro Plus. If you've heard that others have used 256GB then you have user testimony. I'm not sure if you are looking for a yes/no or just more testimony of people who have used a 256GB. Since this is not the GoPro Support Team but rather a user support site, I don't think anyone is qualified to give you a yes/no beyond what information is posted on the GoPro website.
Hiker

[ New ]
Thing is I didn't even get a response from GoPro Support Team. I was hoping they would be of some help but no use.
Nomad

[ New ]

There is a list of recommended uSD cards. You can give it a try if it works or not, but risk is up to you. In addition not possible to blame GoPro 'cause/why  it's not sopported