Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: 24fps files larger than 30fps? How?

Thanks for being a class act. And I do see your posts as relevant.

Highlighted
Explorer

All good. I'm sorry I don't have more information on this for you. You have peaked my interest though, so I'll be looking for answers.
Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks. Yes, if you eventually get a chance to take a look at your own Hero 3+ Black, let me know if it's any different.

In Adobe Bridge shutter speed is not available on mp4's, unfortunately.

However, this review of the Hero 3+ Black Edition claims the following:

"The longest shutter speed for the 30 shots per second is 1/60th, I imagine this will get a lot faster in good light but all my shots from this evening were at 1/60th, this is nowhere near fast enough to freeze action as you can see, but it at least allows you to get a useable image."

This would appear to support my theory.

Highlighted
Explorer

Looking at this table it does make me wonder
https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/HERO3plus-Recording-Time-in-Each-Video-Setting

I'm most curious about why 1080/30 jumps to 7 hours when all other resolutions/frame rates 1440 and below are 4H 30M including 1080/30 in superview.

I remember when the Hero3 came out SanDisk was misstating the capability of their cards. SanDisk cards were not being able to handle the higher bitrate of the Hero3 and GoPro had to throttle the camera in an update in response. At the bottom of the table I linked to, there is an interesting mention of 45Mbs vs 35Mbs being used for supported vs unsupported SD cards. I'm wondering if they just set the 1080/30 to 35Mbs universally on the Hero3+ but allowed for higher Mbs on the other resolutions/frame rates (and fov - Superview).