Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

2018 basic hero time lapse..

I appreciate it's the cheapest hero so there's fewer exposure controls, but i tried a time lapse video of a sunset the other day and the jump in exposure every time little light was lost looked rubbish and killed the atmosphere.  I've since discovered the exposure lock funtion and had a play by searching online but realitsically what are you supposed to lock on to with an ever changing sky that will have clouds moving in and out of the the exposure?  Short of a constant such a street lamp which may not be on during the first part or a semi bright bit of sky assuming it's not cloudy, any advice or is it just a matter of the handicap from the cheaper hardware that you're at it's auto exposure mercy?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: 2018 basic hero time lapse..

Hello @nicestar50858

The Exposure Control feature on your camera allows you to select an area that you want the camera to prioritize when determining exposure. This setting is particularly useful in shots where an important region might otherwise be over- or underexposed. A Hub member shared some info about time lapse  and exposure here. Other members might have some helpful tips as well. Let us watch out for their replies. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: 2018 basic hero time lapse..

Unfortunately that's what i feared in not being able to lock the exposure fullstop, it's a bit hit and hope just locking the exposure somewhere in frame and allowing it to still make auto decisions that are always look to compensate too much.  Oh well. i guess it'll be a matter or perseverance and just getting lucky with the right wheather and spot metering lock.  I'll see if i can find a constant that on the most part is slightly brighter than the scene for what i'm hoping to achieve and where i'm using it so i can maintain a brooding weather.