Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

2 problems with Moto Z2 play and camera continuous beeping when off (standby)

Go pro application doesn't work on my phone (MOTO Z2 PLAY, android 7 and also afterupdate android 8) also bought at digitec in switzerland.
I passed on 30/6/2018 to the shop in Lausanne switzerland.

After 30 minutes of tries they could only admit the problem and said it was a software /compatibility issue with my phone.

It apparently does connect but as soon as a function is used the app throws an error and directs the user to the non working support how to solutions. 

Live view doesn't work and access to media also doesn't work.
Basically following the support asks to reset all connections (wifi/bluetooth) on phone and on GOPRO, after reconnect (which seems to succeed) the problem is still the same (no access to any functions of the app)
The application does work on samsung tab S3 and the sony phone from the shop service person but not on my brand new MOTO Z2.

Which has no other problem with wifi or bluetooth (car, speakers, internet, chromecast, etc...)

Basically an android software bug/incompatibility

Also I had problems where I cannot turn off the device reliably. After turn off sometimes the Go Pro uses battery at a rate of about 20% per hour in standby and gets extremly hot... beeping every 10 minutes or so... Only way to turn it really off and avoid overheating is to remove the battery.
When putting back the battery without turning on the camera the overheat in standby mode continues....
Apparently a firmware/standby bug.

From a top tier camera manufacturer at it's 6th generation of camera I am very unimpressed by all those issues..

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: 2 problems with Moto Z2 play and camera continuous beeping when off (standby)

Hello @theshade

Sorry to hear about the trouble. By any chance, have you been able to explore connectivity with the app through a different Wi-Fi Band (say changing 5GHz to 2.4 GHz)? This is because some  countries limit the public usage of the 5GHz band. You can find this option under Connections > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi Band.

There are other steps to fix suggested here which you can try, only of course if you have not done them yet. On your initial you mentioned a number of issues with the camera, even not related to app usage. If a manual update on the firmware has already been performed and you are using a recommended SD card as shown on this list, it would be best to get in touch with our Support team for a more personalized support. You can reach the team via phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs. 

Best regards, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: 2 problems with Moto Z2 play and camera continuous beeping when off (standby)

Hi @theshade

I understand where you are coming from. We do our best to ensure that the GoPro App works on every device but this is nearly impossible due to the nature of the OS. Android is a fragmented operating system with a myriad of devices running different hardware and software specs. These inconsistencies make it extremely difficult to ensure that the app will work flawlessly on every device.

Regarding the issue where your camera discharges, please do a run time test on the camera.

1. Make sure Wi-Fi is turned off (if applicable).
  2. Make sure it's being charged correctly. See this FAQ for more info:  How to Charge the Camera Battery
  3. Perform general run time test (below), to see if anything else is revealed.

Test to ensure that you are getting near the expected runtime for the camera (see links below):

1. Turn Wi-Fi off (if applicable).
  2. Disconnect any BacPacs (if applicable).
  3. Fully charge the camera battery using the recommended method
  4. Ensure that the camera is powered off and then let it sit overnight.  The next day try to power the camera back on.  If it does power on, continue to step 5. NOTE: If using a HERO Session/HERO4 Session, refer to the runtime test instructions, here. 
  5. Reformat the SD card in camera.
  6. Set the camera to 1080-30.
  7. Make sure Protune is turned off (if applicable). 
  8. Then record one long video file and check what kind of runtime you get.

This should help us identify if there might be an issue with the battery or possibly with the camera itself. 

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi @aragon1006,

Thank you for your support I understand the problems with android support my company is also in the buisness.

Still when can I expect a fix, are you already working on it?

About the camera discharge I think it is related, because when I last paired it with the functional tablet the discharging +standby overheating stopped.. It might be the camera wifi entering some kind of loop because it fails to connect to my moto Z2. 

So I think you shall address your faulty software asap and (all) my problems will be solved.

Please provide estimate date of fix.

Thank you.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @theshade

I am not able to provide a specific date for this.

We are working on the continuous improvement of our cameras and applications. Please continue to check our website for more information.

Best Regards,

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi @aragon1006,

I am really amazed by such a "maybe if we have time eventually but nothing is sure attitude"....

Can you then please confirm that their is an open ticket in the developpers bug system and can you provide me with it's ID and priority level ?

If no such thing exist at gopro, and you don't have state of the art developpment/bug fix process, can I return the 3 month old camera for reimbursement?

Thank you in advance,

SG

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @theshade

Sorry to hear about the trouble. By any chance, have you been able to explore connectivity with the app through a different Wi-Fi Band (say changing 5GHz to 2.4 GHz)? This is because some  countries limit the public usage of the 5GHz band. You can find this option under Connections > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi Band.

There are other steps to fix suggested here which you can try, only of course if you have not done them yet. On your initial you mentioned a number of issues with the camera, even not related to app usage. If a manual update on the firmware has already been performed and you are using a recommended SD card as shown on this list, it would be best to get in touch with our Support team for a more personalized support. You can reach the team via phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

@mariustanya

Yes, of course I tried changing the wifi band and reseted all connections bluetooth and wifi on both sides phone + gopro. 

As said the gopro seems to work perfectly with everything which is not a moto Z2 play which I have tried so far.

My own Samsung tablet and the Sony phone from the shop person too.

Yes the SD card was bought specifically for the Gopro and works well thank you.

Basically all I need is the software/driver team to work out the bug that exist in what I suppose is the direct Wifi connection with the motoZ2play.

p.s. BTW just to make sure you don't reply that my phone is faulty. I do not have any problems with my phone on anything else such as Access Point wifi (my router) or direct wifi (such as my chromecast) and bluetooth speakers, keyboards and mouse work fine too.

Highlighted
GoPro

Glad to know that everything is good with your phone in terms of Wi-Fi connectivity and accessibility, @theshade. As mentioned previously, all these information are being communicated to the App team. We just do not have visibility over details such as case number, reference ID for the particular task, its priority level, even an ETA. We get the information at the same time that our channels (web site, email notifications, support articles) are updated. Thanks!