Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

15 min video on Hero5 transfers to computer as 9 minutes??

I'm new to this and my basic searches have failed. I recorded a 15 minute video on my Hero5 Black. I have tried transferring it to my windows laptop by using Quik and by manual file transfer. No matter what I do, the video shows up at approx. 9 minutres long and the end is missing from the video. 

I can watch the entire video on the GoPro but something gets lost in the transfer and I have no idea where to look for help. The support phone number and chat are apparently just for show. Any help would be appreciated!!

Accepted Solutions
GoPro Community Manager

Re: 15 min video on Hero5 transfers to computer as 9 minutes??

@billykistner - I think you're probably seeing a function we call chaptering. It breaks longer videos into smaller files to protect against any errors in one segment ruining your entire video. More info is at https://gopro.com/support/articles/gopro-camera-file-chaptering-information.

You should see a second file on your SD card or in your import folder. The second file will have a similar name, but one digit is likely to be added or a number higher. When you go to edit the video, you can join these two files together to get the full-length shoot.

Thanks,

Jeff

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro Community Manager

@billykistner - I think you're probably seeing a function we call chaptering. It breaks longer videos into smaller files to protect against any errors in one segment ruining your entire video. More info is at https://gopro.com/support/articles/gopro-camera-file-chaptering-information.

You should see a second file on your SD card or in your import folder. The second file will have a similar name, but one digit is likely to be added or a number higher. When you go to edit the video, you can join these two files together to get the full-length shoot.

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Adventurer

Hero 2 did 30 minute video.

Hero 4 did 17 minute vide

Hero 5 does  9-12 min clips

why  Because they all use up 4gb of file in that time, the   set up is called chaptering, if you do not like  the way gopro chapters

I don't File _0001, File_0001. when gopro    continues the next file it is from gopr_0001 the contimued one is gopr100.001  so it clearly makes you think you lost hte   rest of your clip.

sorry I did not explain it well.