Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

1080p videos have a lot of noise. 4K is much better but the noise is still there.

[ New ]

Hello,

I purchased GoPro Hero 8 Black a few weeks ago. This is my first GoPro ever.

I'm completely baffled by the fact that all my 1080p videos have a lot of noise. My old iPhone 6S can shoot 1080p without any noticeable noise whatsoever.

I used default settings but tried tweaking them including ISO Min/Max, Shutter Speed, Sharpness, etc. Tried shooting with and without ND filters and tempered glass, updated to the most recent firmware.

Also, I watched various settings tutorials and followed advice given on YouTube by some of the most prominent vloggers.

Nothing helps.

The results (in terms of noise) are pretty much the same regardless of the settings I use.

1080p video is always very noisy. 4K is almost perfect but not quite.

Here are some unedited samples straight off the memory card: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nhtfbw01za4s7gp/AAD6sGAM6areCPUyJfhMOYuga?dl=0

The video file names indicate which settings were changed from defaults.

I saw beautiful videos on YouTube shot with GoPro Hero 8 and the noise problem is either non-existent or so minimal in those videos (even on YouTube) you have to squint reqlly hard to see it.

At this point I'm wondering if there is a problem with my unit.

Maybe I still have to figure out the right settings but honestly I tried just about every combination and followed tutorials on YouTube that should have led to a much better video quality than I get. And yet...

Any ideas why I get so much noise?

Is this normal? Why 4K is so much better than 1080p in terms of noise? Why 1080p is so much worse on a brand new GoPro than on an old iPhone 6S?

GoPro

Re: 1080p videos have a lot of noise. 4K is much better but the noise is still there.

[ New ]

Hello, @iliv. Is your camera already updated to the latest firmware? If not yet, we recommend doing a manual update as this will clear out any possible error with the current installation. The steps under Manual Update here will guide you. 

Which SD card are you using? Is it among the recommended SD cards on this list? Keeping these in check will help us isolate possible causes of the video quality that you are observing. 

Our Creative Fellow, Abe, shares tips on how to get the best shot with the HERO8 Black in this article. See if it helps. Hub members may also share their best practices so please watch out for their input as well. 

If the issue persists, please engage our Support team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs for further troubleshooting. 

Tourist

Re: 1080p videos have a lot of noise. 4K is much better but the noise is still there.

[ New ]

Hi mariustanya!

Is your camera already updated to the latest firmware?

Yes.

Which SD card are you using?

SanDisk microSDXC Extreme Pro 128GB C10 UHS-I U3 (SDSQXCY-128G-GN6MA)

> Our Creative Fellow, Abe, shares tips on how to get the best shot with the HERO8 Black in this article. See if it helps.

It didn't. Setting Sharpness to low seems to reduce noise a bit but it's still there and the image becomes unacceptably blurry. I understand that this can be addressed in post but that is not what I want to do all the time.

As it is my first GoPro ever, I do not really have a good reference point. Can someone take a look at my clips I uploaded to DropBox and tell me if the amount of noise I get is normal or not?

Is it reasonable to expect an almost noise-free video in 1080p/60 from GoPro Hero 8?

Tourist

[ New ]

To be clear, I used Abe's video preset settings for 1080p|120 as shown in the attached screenshot.

VideoPresets-1024x497.jpg
Backpacker

[ New ]

The screen shot you attached shows that this is set up for slow motion capture (120FPS).  This will work great if you are in bright strong sunlight, however if you are indoors or in a low light area, this will result in a huge amount of noise being visible.  The higher the frame rate, the more light you will need present as each frame is being exposed to less light.

Try dropping your frame rate to 60FPS or 30FPS and you should see a dramatic improvement.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hey irishmanpdx,

Yeah, it was actually cloudy outside when I tried those settings and the result was by far the worst I ever captured this camera.

Regardless, if you see the clips in the shared DropBox folder you will find two of them shot using standard out-of-the-box settings. They were shot outside in broad daylight and they demonstrate the problem with noise that I have the best.

Backpacker

[ New ]

So the first clip I watched (clip 1), there is a big bright sunny sky in the background, but the woman in the foreground seems to be in shade.  The clip is filmed at 60FPS.  This is too high a frame rate for those lighting conditions as the bright sky in the background is overblown meaning the camera is trying to artifically boost the light in the foreground due to it's darkness.  Also the image looks over sharp as if the sharpness is set to high.  60FPS is great for open area's in the noon day sun, but where there are elongated shadows and plenty of tree covering, it's going to cause some noise as seen in the video.

Clip 2,  60FPS, bright blue sky in background, but foreground and about 70% of the picture is much darker than your settings should allow for.  You may want to boost your min ISO to 200 or 400 and your max to 600 to 800.  Although this would normally cause noise in lower light shots, in this case it may actually improve the picture due to the amount of contrast visible in the light present.  This means you will lose the blue sky in the background (it will just look white) but it will reduce the noise you are seeing.

If you're going to be using manual settings you really need to expiriment a lot and realize that manual settings are great for very specific scenes but there is no "one setting fits all" scenario.  If you walk through a field and then walk under some tree's at the end of the field, that may require at least 3 different settings (one for the field, one for the transition, one for the tree's).  

Using full auto is great for when there are many different scenes with may different lighting conditions, however it doesn't allow you as much control over the "look" of what you want to film.  

You could also shoot with your color set to flat instead of GoPro.  This will reduce the over saturation and will help with the contrast between light and dark area's, you'll just need to color grade the image later if you want it to "pop".