Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: 1 week with MAX. Camera? Good. Software? Garbage.

I share your pain.

The only way I have been able to make any movies is with adobe premiere. Vegas movie studio also supports 360 video but it doesn't like the go pro files. The 360 files have unusable stitching issues and I haven't been able to find a workaround as yet. The max is still relatively new so improved support from Vegas may be a little while off. The crazy thing is Vegas movie studio won't open the .mov from exporter. That would have been good if it did as I would rather pay 74.99 once for vegas than 29.99 every month for premiere.

I was able to make a 1440p movie using the LRV files but the quality wasn't what I'm looking for. There were also some minor stitching issues but nothing to get upset about.

The max exporter software is still necessary with adobe premiere as the program can't see the go pro files. I was able to edit a 4k mov file from max exporter using adobe premiere and I am happy with the results. The movie looks okay in youtube and looks great in VLC media player. The files I exported in 5.6k were not able to be rendered in 360 mode in adobe premiere. I suspect that 4k is the max supported resolution in premiere. This being the case I have to wonder why 5.6k is the only video mode available. A 4k mode would be nice but the max crams a lot into one camera so I guess a line had to be drawn somewhere. I have only had the camera 2 days so there is a great deal I still don't know but this is where I'm up to so far.

It seems to me that apple users are being looked after and the rest of us don't matter. Does apple have some influence at go pro?

It blows my mind to think that a powerful camera like the max relys on a cell phone to use it. It makes about as much sense to me as defusing landmines with your forehead. 

GoPro software doesn't seem to have improved at all since I bought my last cam, a hero 5 black. Even though I am now happy with my max I think it will be my last GoPro. 30 bucks a month just to make movies from it isn't acceptable.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Yeah thinking about returning it now...

Highlighted
Hiker

Has anyone here tried to call GoPro to see if they could get an answer as to why GoPro's software has the 1080p limitation? I realize that the person over the phone may not have the answer but I'm guessing they could send the question over to management and get an answer. The other quesiton is will they/are they planning to update the limitation and allow us to export to 4k?

Yes, GoPro doesn't want to admit something is wrong or that they "rushed" getting their software out. That would be against their shareholders wishes.

but I think they seriously need to answer these 2 fundamental quesitons or people will return their Max or steer clear of buying it at all. 

GoPro: It's about SALES right? Why would you risk losing sales over something that can be fixed? (as if they're going to read this)

I'll call tomorrow if no one already has.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

So with a better understanding on 360 video and how it works in terms of resolution, no consumer 360 camera on the market right now can actually render at 4k. Not Rylo, Insta360 One X or the GoPro Max.

To get true 4k 360 footage you would have to shoot the footage at 16k

The issue with exporting from GoPro's own app regardless of mobile vs desktop is that the footage is being compressed several times. While the reframed and edited video looks fine (actually it looks ok) when you upload it to Facebook or YouTube for example it gets compressed even more. This will cause your video to look like a pixelated mess.

It's always better to upload footage for online media with the least amount of compression.

The trick is to skip using GoPro's app (until it can do a better job) and use a 3rd party software like Adobe since they currently have the 360 Reframe plug in. This is how GoPro made their own TV/Online commercials at 4k. That means for us people who don't subscribe to Adobe are SOL until someone or company makes a good plug-in for free video editing software like Davinci. (Reframe 360 plug in for Davinci I've found is not usable yet since it's still in beta) A lot of us will have to wait for more options to come through the pipeline.

Highlighted
Hiker

yes, I mostly agree.

For what I never found a proper use of, is the reframing.

If I want to have a dedicated camerangle and field of view then why not using a proper actioncam like hero 6/7/8 or DJI's actioncam.

Those have in this case a much better quality for that use, and at least the same good stabilisation.

What this max and its predecessor the fusion is really made for , is 360 spherical videos for use with vr-glasses.

Here , the quality is as good as the level in this range is at the moment . It even creates 360 ambi-sound (if you know how to extract it ).

But the current software , here I fully agree , is for the moment.....semi garbage.... it is some alpha-testing which was at the only available at releasedate, because no one had the time to write some new code.

It for sure, was the pressure of analysts and shareholders, which as always forced the developers to monetarize the product regardless the current status.

This same bad influencers have made adobe products from a very positiv inovativ software for decades, since a few years now to a only profitoriented , badass company which does not care of the customers, but tries to squeeze them out as much as possible.

So why not using resolve.

I'm doing this for 18month day-by-day now . 50 % of it, is gopro fusion and max editing movies.

Works perfectly. I even got the ambix-sound workflow to work.

Plugins for panning , the latlongpatcher, and even a realy good working spherical stabilizer is included in the studioversion.

Reframing is not an issue for me...reason see above.

Anyway ... gopro has to deliver now promptly a good working exportingsoftware for desktop use.

One software for both platforms.

including:

batchexport for intermediate codecs like ProRes or Cineform (to preserve the quality in the editing process)

stabilisation

export of 4ch 360audio

thats it, then I am fully satisfied with this product.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

@bluewater86456  Please watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPLes10GpNI

You cannot accomplish the same type of footage using a normal GoPro Hero. The idea of reframing is to get different angels via one recorded shot. This intro to this video is ONE person doing the footage with one single action camera. Reframing is INCREDIBLE.

VR is not the only way one should use a 360 camera. VR for most videos is horrible in my opinion. The user is overwhelmed as to where they are supposed to focus on. VR has it's place for things such has virtual house tours. Or to capture an area where there is no action and you just want to see whats all around.

Saying the Max is only good for VR I strongly disagree with.

GoPro様のご依頼で、一足お先(β版の時)にMAXを使用して映像を作って欲しいとのことで一本作ってみました! 電子コンパスを使用したスタビライス機能は無限の可動域で機械のジンバルでは実現不可能な動きにも対応!どんなに傾けようが振り回そうが永遠と同じ方角を向かせることができるため、もはやチートと呼べるかと笑 「M...
Highlighted
Tourist

Just horrible software for the Mac.
I have several hours of footage from a day of filming. I've been trying to export it. ProRes is the only option that doesn't take 4 hours to export 1 file. But with ProRes a 4gb file exports to 59gb. I have 25 of the to export. What a joke, wish I'd just stuck with my Insta360. Think I may try for a return tomorrow.
Highlighted
Hiker

I emailed GoPro's Public Relations department this morning. We'll see how that goes.