Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

03742562 External Mic doesn't work with Hero 3+, GoPro taking ZERO Ownership

[ Edited ]

John,

I appreciate your willingness to attempt a solution but frankly we don’t seem to be getting anywhere and I’m beginning to lose my patience.  My parents gave me the Hero3 for Christmas just 2-3 years ago and I have invested further in the bacpac and a number of other accessories.  More than that, I purchased the GoPro book for filmmaking and became a huge fan of the company and its story.  Unfortunately, all of my good feelings about GoPro are quickly fading now through what I consider to be a very poor customer service experience.  

This camera is not that old and while I’m sure GoPro would just as soon prefer I throw several hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise in the trash and start over with the newest version, I’m not going to do that.  This camera is only a few years old and I expect GoPro to stand behind its claims and customer service.  I’m not someone who is taken advantage of lightly and that’s just exactly how I feel at this point.  My next steps are to escalate this issue within your organization and to create an interesting and well written letter describing this expereince which I will seek to publish.

Please escalate this issue internally and come back with a real solution.  There are NO GOPRO brand adapters to be found anywhere so sending me to Amazon doesn’t get the job done my friend.

• Is the external microphone intended to work as an external microphone with the backpack or not?  If so, it’s not working and it is GoPro’s responsibility to offer a solution.
  • If the external microphone will only work with the official GoPro USB adapter (and your response after numerous emails is still unclear) then it is GoPro’s responsibility to offer the official GoPro Adapter.
  • If the bacpac is designed for and intended to be used with an external microphone but for some reason isn’t working then you should; 1. Offer a replacement bacpac, 2. Offer a replacement camera and bacpac, 3. Offer an official GoPro adapter and skeleton case at no charge.
  • If the bacpac is NOT designed to be used with an external mic then GoPro still needs to offer a solution and that is to make available the only adapter that works (GoPro Brand) along with a skeleton case and a replacement door.  In this case, I would be okay to pay for these additional items but it’s your responsibility to support this camera and me by making them available.

If you can’t work with one of these options then our next conversation needs to be about an upgrade to a GoPro 4 or 5 in which case I can make the external microphone work.  The external mic is necessary for the work I intend to do and without it, the camera and gear do me no good.  If this is your only alternative to correcting this issue then I expect to receive an upgrade with very minimal investment on my part.

Long story short, this camera is not outdated and with the $400+ I’ve invested it’s not a throwaway.  It’s GoPro’s responsibility to offer a good solution.  Sure, it may be more profitable to the company to let some of these issues fall by the wayside.  Perhaps the financial wizards decided that it was better to lose 2-4% of their customers rather than staff the phones and offer product replacements, etc. but I’m not sure this is a good strategy in the long run.  As I’ve said, based on how this goes you can keep me as a raving fan or turn me into a raving enemy of the brand in which case I do intend to make my voice heard.  I expect to be treated fairly and this case will determine how I share my brand experience with others.

Like I said, my request is that you escalate this and don’t come back without a real solution.  I’m not fond of playing games or being taken advantage of.  In contrast, in no way am I attempting to take advantage of GoPro.  I expect my gear to work as advertised and I expect GoPro to stand behind it.  The external microphone needs to work with my Hero 3+…..period.

I will await your kind response.

Bryan

Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 12:13 PM
To: bktilghman@gmail.com
Subject: RE: HERO3+ Silver | External Microphone Issue [ ref:_00Do0HJuF._5001JRW5ol:ref ]

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for your kind response.

You can also connect your external microphone to the BacPac, however you still need to use the adapter from GoPro. I'd suggest to use the port on the camera itself as it is more direct than the BacPac. 

You can try to order on Amazon for 3.5 mm mic Adapter. Please let me know how it goes. Have a good day!

Best Regards.

GoPro Support

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: 03742562 External Mic doesn't work with Hero 3+, GoPro taking ZERO Ownership

The Hero3 was released in 2012 and by technology standards, is out of date. Companies most certainly have the right to stop supporting and producing accessories for a five year old product. Especially if they are now selling newer, upgraded products that no longer use those accessories. 

That being said, I just purchased an official GoPro mic adaptor on Amazon last week. 

Screenshot_20170604-101958.png

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: 03742562 External Mic doesn't work with Hero 3+, GoPro taking ZERO Ownership

It is called a gopro Combo cable it runs at 40.00 plus you can but you refuse to go to another link and find it for 25.00    

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GoPro-Combo-Cable-for-HERO3-HERO3-HERO4-/191742605009?hash=item2ca4bff6d1:g:...

24.00 to be xact a few pennies less I OWN ONE

Highlighted
Explorer

The Hero3 was released in 2012 and by technology standards, is out of date. Companies most certainly have the right to stop supporting and producing accessories for a five year old product. Especially if they are now selling newer, upgraded products that no longer use those accessories. 

That being said, I just purchased an official GoPro mic adaptor on Amazon last week. 

Screenshot_20170604-101958.png

Highlighted
Hiker

While I appreciate the reply, your response is totally incorrect. According to other questions/replies here the GoPro brand 3.5 adapter is the only one that will work reliably. Turns out GoPro is out of stock on their own adapter and so is EVERYONE else. Apparently they stopped making it and therefore stopped supporting the external mic function on the hero 3 and 3+ which of course is only a few years old. Furthermore, the mic jack located on the lcd bacpac does not work as promised. Not sure where you came up with these cables but not even close my friend. This is what is needed assuming GoPRo is not willing to replace the bacpac which of course is the preferred method for using the external mic. https://shop.gopro.com/accessories-2/3.5mm-mic-adapter/AMCCC-301.html
Highlighted
Hiker

The only listing I see on Amazon for the GoPro brand adapter is this one.  There are three used adapters for sale at almost double the price.  There are many knockoff versions of this adapter but most of them have very poor ratings meaning they did not work reliably.  I've checked Best Buy, BH Photo, Adorama, Wal-Mart and on and on.  It's been discontinued apparently.  What's the product cost?  $2 or $3?  And even GoPro can't keep a handful in stock?  Really? 

Expecting that GoPro would continue to service this product and those accessories that are critical to it's successful operation is not asking too much.  The camera was purchased 3 years ago.  I've got over $400 invested.  It's not a disposable product and I get really **bleep**ing tired of companies/brands saying "we don't support that" after just a few years time.  This is the consumer driven programming that most of us have bought into.  "Just throw your otherwise perfectly good gear in the trash and spend a bunch more money on the new cooler version that is being supported at this particular time."  Not acceptable.

gopro.JPG
Highlighted
Explorer

Glad you could find an adaptor. I hope it works out for you.
Highlighted
Hiker

I didn't find an adapter.  This issue is not resolved.  Who are you?  Sounds like you must work for GoPro given the less than stellar reply.  To pay almost twice the price for a used adapter that may or may not work is NOT a solution...at least not a good one. 

Highlighted
Explorer

My name is Daniel. I do not work for GoPro. I own several GoPro products, including the Hero3 Silver (which is five years old). You posted a listing of a GoPro mic adaptor on Amazon. You can try other retailers if you want but if you NEED the adaptor now, it seems this is your best solution. If it doesn't work, Amazon has a return policy. Apparently GoPro doesn't sell the adaptor you need. You will either need to upgrade ($100 off if you trade in your five year old camera for a much better one) or purchase the adaptor from a third party.

Good luck!

Regards,

Daniel